Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

Pics
Only 2 bared rock but need opinions on if male or female.

both pullets

Came from a batch of eggs for a new broody. Based on available breeds given and the chick's appearance, could be a BR or BSL (cockerel with that headspot). I'm leaning towards BSL... but looking for more experienced eyes in telling them apart.

Any guesses? 5 days old:

I havent had any black sex link but if it is a barred rock its a pullet the wing feathers are way too dark to be a boy.and the head spot is one piece which also indicates a female

I havent had any black sex link but if it is a barred rock its a pullet the wing feathers are way too dark to be a boy.and the head spot is one piece which also indicates a female

Thanks! I'm going to keep thinking happy BR pullet thoughts at it for now. This will be our first BSL if that turns out that way- love my BR pullets. Actually it was one of them that went broody and earned the chance to sit on fertile eggs.

Thanks! I'm going to keep thinking happy BR pullet thoughts at it for now. This will be our first BSL if that turns out that way- love my BR pullets. Actually it was one of them that went broody and earned the chance to sit on fertile eggs.
I really like my BRs too. :)

These are just over 2 weeks old. Any ideas?
the problem im having is that they could be barred crosses or purebred. definitely a barred rock rooster, but the mom could be either a barred rock, RIR, white Plymouth. I'm confused :(
based on barred rock pure chicks, I'm thinking #1 pullet and #2 roo ...but I get thrown off because if they're mixed, it could change the typical sexing signs right?
#2 had a comb that definitely makes me
think roo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom