Sign Petition to stop GMO Alfalfa from entering circulation

^ In my nutrition classes we learned that while GMO produce and organic/heritage produce may have the same nutrients (maybe), that even if they do - the body doesn't absorb it.

For some unknown reason, nutritionists can't figure out why, but the human body is absolutely terrible at breaking down fake things. The human body notices even when the scientific eye doesn't. Every single test can come back saying 2 things are exactly structurally molecularly the same - but the GMO or lab-made foods get absorbed at an abysmal (like 10%!) rate.

It's the same reason you can't just eat vitamins to get your fill of nutrients and supplements have 10-20x the amount of nutrients in them you actually need.

Last edited:
Quote:
There's no "Round up inserted" into anything, but Round up resistant plants are "GMO"'s

More people might listen if there wasn't so much false iinformation being spread

How are round up resistant plants GMO?
Do you mean plants that develop the resistance naturally?
If so, then that's not GMO, that's the basses of evolution through adaptation.

Kristy,
Interesting point... on evolution.. I see it as a major danger, our species is having a major impact on the natural world, causing other species to evolve due to our influence. I see it as never a good thing.. I think about antibiotic resistant bacteria, and know I understand the bedbug is back, but this time it is resistant to DDT..

IMO we should be thinking about these things prior to creating GMO's and other unnatural nasties.
roll.png

The natural world adapts to our tinkering in ways we can not understand.!!

I feel that as long as money and power are the driving force of technology, we should be extremely cautious on how we proceed...

ON

Quote:
That is true! A high corn diet can cause all sorts of issues with cattle. Not only digestive but neurological, take a Beef Production Stocker Operations class and you get to learn all about it. Cattle evolved to digest grass, which is why range cattle produce very little salmonella but it can be a major issue for feedlots.

Sorry for the off topic ramble.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Interesting... This reaffirms my belief that we really do not understand how things really work....
big_smile.png

I like your vitamin analogy.. In my mind I always think about how the processed food "scientists" can say it contains say.. whole wheat, but list a bunch of chemical components of which even if you could put them all back together it still would not be a living grain of wheat that would grow...

This is my "evidence" that components of a living natural food can not be disassembled and reassembled and be the same thing!

ON

Quote:
There's no "Round up inserted" into anything, but Round up resistant plants are "GMO"'s

More people might listen if there wasn't so much false iinformation being spread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism

(GMO) or genetically engineered organism (GEO) is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. These techniques, generally known as recombinant DNA technology, use DNA molecules from different sources, which are combined into one molecule to create a new set of genes. This DNA is then transferred into an organism, giving it modified or novel genes. Transgenic organisms, a subset of GMOs, are organisms which have inserted DNA that originated in a different species.

Read the whole article.

Quote:

(GMO) or genetically engineered organism (GEO) is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. These techniques, generally known as recombinant DNA technology, use DNA molecules from different sources, which are combined into one molecule to create a new set of genes. This DNA is then transferred into an organism, giving it modified or novel genes. Transgenic organisms, a subset of GMOs, are organisms which have inserted DNA that originated in a different species.

Read the whole article.

I am aware that GMO is when something is genetically engineered in the lab, But what I was responding to was his apparent assertion that when something develops a resistance to a chemical on it's own is GMO, when i do not believe it is. That is adaptation. I may have read what he typed wrong, but that was my assertion.

Quote:

Read the whole article.

BTW you should be wary of anything posted on Wikipedia.

Quote:

Read the whole article.

I think you are both arguing the same point from difference stances... but are both getting back to the same end. We all see different things in different ways, and the SAME things through different spectrums of light...but from the same sun!
smile.png

Anyways....

Honestly, is something isn't GMO then its a natural 'mutation'. I do not have problems with natures mutations... they happen slowly over time due to an enviromental impact that even in low concentrations, is still happening slowly and naturally. What comes of a mutation is the changes are made this way because nature is slowly forcing a needed change (ie. weather, soil or temps) what happens is things that need to survive adapt without losing the bases of their being. Maybe a tomato changes to the soil to be able to continue to live in an area that is cooler, so it changes its shape, size, color and riping time so that it may survive. This natural occurance makes it so the tomato is still healthy, nutrient rich, good tasting and attractive to eat. It choosing to go this route for not only its immediate survival, but for the seeds to spend and be adapted to the same area. To do this, over time it will be less likely to be killed off by diseases common to the area... and is more resisitant to the type of weed growth to the area. However, GMO produce is a now or never situation. Some have the round up right in them, some are only 'resistant'.

Either way, I say if you don't change this to be an adaptable plant and its just a one trick pony... we're in for bigger problems.

Quote:

I think you are both arguing the same point from difference stances... but are both getting back to the same end. We all see different things in different ways, and the SAME things through different spectrums of light...but from the same sun!
smile.png

Anyways....

Honestly, is something isn't GMO then its a natural 'mutation'. I do not have problems with natures mutations... they happen slowly over time due to an enviromental impact that even in low concentrations, is still happening slowly and naturally. What comes of a mutation is the changes are made this way because nature is slowly forcing a needed change (ie. weather, soil or temps) what happens is things that need to survive adapt without losing the bases of their being. Maybe a tomato changes to the soil to be able to continue to live in an area that is cooler, so it changes its shape, size, color and riping time so that it may survive. This natural occurance makes it so the tomato is still healthy, nutrient rich, good tasting and attractive to eat. It choosing to go this route for not only its immediate survival, but for the seeds to spend and be adapted to the same area. To do this, over time it will be less likely to be killed off by diseases common to the area... and is more resisitant to the type of weed growth to the area. However, GMO produce is a now or never situation. Some have the round up right in them, some are only 'resistant'.

Either way, I say if you don't change this to be an adaptable plant and its just a one trick pony... we're in for bigger problems.

There is a great book written by a geneticists, called "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's & Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding & Seed Saving " by Carol Deppe who goes in depth between GMO, and natural mutations. She writes it in a manner that even novices can understand, she is funny and well spoken and i just love the book. But in the book she asserts that GMO plants are dangerous, and explains why GMO is radically different from natural adaptation.

Quote:
smile.png

Anyways....

There is a great book written by a geneticists, called "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's & Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding & Seed Saving " by Carol Deppe who goes in depth between GMO, and natural mutations. She writes it in a manner that even novices can understand, she is funny and well spoken and i just love the book. But in the book she asserts that GMO plants are dangerous, and explains why GMO is radically different from natural adaptation.

Well I see the ability to easily cross pollinate a natural occurance. If the plant wasn't meant to survive it would die out on its own. I want to do some breeding/cross hybrids with some of the heirlooms that I love... I'm sure I could get something amazing... or wish I didn't do that. Makes me feel like a little bee! LOL

Anyways, I'm going to look into that book for sure.

Back
Top Bottom