Silkie 4 week old Swollen fluidly eye!

AliyahJade

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2019
In the last 48 hours my silkie chick’s eye has swollen up, it is fluidly and very swollen. (No puss though?) She appears to be itching it. The other five don’t appear to have any sign of the sign the same thing, just the one. She doesn’t seem to have any other symptoms. I have lightly gone over her eye with a warm tissue but no help.
I don’t know if it plays any part in it but we have huen pine shavings for bedding. We only got these 5 silkies about 4 days ago and they live on their own.

Here are some images of the poor thing. D0C5AFD5-1B4E-4A14-B584-B7A69F0409CC.jpeg 7E4C64C9-D7C9-4074-B12B-5A78C333197B.jpeg B5122F09-E02C-4FAA-9225-49E2484C76F3.jpeg

Last edited:
The second picture is a profile shot of how swollen her eye is, sorry for the bad quality.

I recently went through the same thing, I suspect your dealing with a upper respiratory infection, look for the signature eye bubbles, keep her separated and we'll feed/fluided, she will recover.

Look at my last post via my profile for more Intel

Welcome to BYC. Do they live inside a coop? Since you have only had them for a few days, the stress of the move may have caused a respiratory illness, such as mycoplasma (MG.) She also could have sustained a peck injury. Look for bubbles or pus in the eye. Is there crust forming around her eye? You can wash the eye with saline, and apply an antibiotic ointment, such as Terramycin or plain Neosporin to her eye twice a day. You can also try using Tylan 50 injectable given orally at 1/4 ml per pound 3 times daily for 5 days. That would treat MG, but if it is caused by another bacteria such as E.coli, you may need another antibiotic. Have you notified the seller that she has a swollen eye? I would be interested in what they suggest, or whether they have seen respiratory disease in their flock before. Do you have other chickens?

In addition to what Eggcessive stated, it's possible she might have debris in her eye. You can liberally flush the eye with saline solution. Also, closely inspect the eye to see if there is fluff/feather "tickling" the eye. If this is the case, trim the fluff with scissors as best as you can, and apply neosporin as mentioned by Eggcessive. Either of these can cause a chicken to scratch their eye.

In addition to what Eggcessive stated, it's possible she might have debris in her eye. You can liberally flush the eye with saline solution. Also, closely inspect the eye to see if there is fluff/feather "tickling" the eye. If this is the case, trim the fluff with scissors as best as you can, and apply neosporin as mentioned by Eggcessive. Either of these can cause a chicken to scratch their eye.
Welcome to BYC. Do they live inside a coop? Since you have only had them for a few days, the stress of the move may have caused a respiratory illness, such as mycoplasma (MG.) She also could have sustained a peck injury. Look for bubbles or pus in the eye. Is there crust forming around her eye? You can wash the eye with saline, and apply an antibiotic ointment, such as Terramycin or plain Neosporin to her eye twice a day. You can also try using Tylan 50 injectable given orally at 1/4 ml per pound 3 times daily for 5 days. That would treat MG, but if it is caused by another bacteria such as E.coli, you may need another antibiotic. Have you notified the seller that she has a swollen eye? I would be interested in what they suggest, or whether they have seen respiratory disease in their flock before. Do you have other chickens?
I recently went through the same thing, I suspect your dealing with a upper respiratory infection, look for the signature eye bubbles, keep her separated and we'll feed/fluided, she will recover.

Look at my last post via my profile for more Intel

Thank you all for your helpful replies! I have closely inspected her eye (for feathers tickling it too but all clear) and opened it very mildly to check for puss, but it's all clear liquid. I have also wiped her eye with a warm saline solution. She keeps wiping the side of her head on her side to hopefully dry off her eye due to all the fluid, it's probably very uncomfortable. I have separated her into her own box for tonight and I will wipe her eye again to see any luck in the morning. I live in Australia so I don't know where I could buy these ointments for her eye without ordering them, does anybody know where I could find them?
Replying to Eggcessive, at this current moment there is no crust forming around the eye ( I will check in the morning again) and yes they live in a small coop by themselves with a heat light on the cold days and nights. If she doesn't improve by tomorrow morning or is facing very slow progression I will contact my seller.

Again, thank you all very much for your informative replies!

Thank you all for your helpful replies! I have closely inspected her eye (for feathers tickling it too but all clear) and opened it very mildly to check for puss, but it's all clear liquid. I have also wiped her eye with a warm saline solution. She keeps wiping the side of her head on her side to hopefully dry off her eye due to all the fluid, it's probably very uncomfortable. I have separated her into her own box for tonight and I will wipe her eye again to see any luck in the morning. I live in Australia so I don't know where I could buy these ointments for her eye without ordering them, does anybody know where I could find them?
Replying to Eggcessive, at this current moment there is no crust forming around the eye ( I will check in the morning again) and yes they live in a small coop by themselves with a heat light on the cold days and nights. If she doesn't improve by tomorrow morning or is facing very slow progression I will contact my seller.

Again, thank you all very much for your informative replies!

I buy ointment at the chemist. we have tobradex and dexamytrex here in greece. your chemist can google these 2 and see if you have the same thing with another name. we do not need prescription for it. I have had better results with dexamytrex.

What do you use for cuts and scrapes. Do you have any type of antibiotic ointment or can you get an eyedrop or ointment from a pharmacist? Saline can be used to flush out the eye. You usually can buy that or you can make it. Add 2 teaspoonsful or 10 grams of table salt to a liter of water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer with a lid for 15 minutes, and when cool, pour into a clean jar.

If you can see a vet, they can prescribe tylosin or tiamulin which can treat mycoplasma or MG. If she develops sneezing, bubbles in the eye, or worse symptoms, I y to get those and an antibiotic eye drop or ointment.

Back
Top Bottom