silkie and orp crosses....* UPDATE*

big_smile.png
thanks

Last edited:
ok update time....2 have flourished enough for me to see their true sex.....
1 roo (white), although he has yet to crow i see saddle feathers
one hen (black)
jury is still out on the other two...pic follows...

100_8474.jpg

100_8473.jpg

100_8471.jpg

100_8470.jpg

100_8468.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Hello! 1st off - LOVELY CROSSES! I'm going to have some F1 Silkie crosses soon - hope mine end up looking pretty as well. I've got a Silkie roo which will probably cross a leghorn bantam and two Ameraucanas.

For my own edification:
May I ask why such a mortality rate with your hatches?
Is the Silkie the same parent for all these birds? Some have a fuller crest than others.
Is/Are any of the Silkie parents of these crosses Roosters? F1 will have normal feathering, F2 is when you'll see the Silkie feathering - I believe. So you can cross F1 back to Silkie to get Silkie feathers
Not a single on of these F1s have feathered legs?

Thanks! For sharing the pix!

::CHAD::

Quote:
Hello! 1st off - LOVELY CROSSES! I'm going to have some F1 Silkie crosses soon - hope mine end up looking pretty as well. I've got a Silkie roo which will probably cross a leghorn bantam and two Ameraucanas.

For my own edification:
May I ask why such a mortality rate with your hatches?
Is the Silkie the same parent for all these birds? Some have a fuller crest than others.
Is/Are any of the Silkie parents of these crosses Roosters? F1 will have normal feathering, F2 is when you'll see the Silkie feathering - I believe. So you can cross F1 back to Silkie to get Silkie feathers
Not a single on of these F1s have feathered legs?

Thanks! For sharing the pix!

::CHAD::

thanks for the lovely comment
smile.png

to answer your questions

mortality rate - pure bad luck - firstly a flood killed 10 (the momma was nesting on the ground) then im guessing a cat/rat/bird took the other 4, never found the 4 bodies.

the silkie is the same parent for all birds....he was the father (shall find a photo of him later, its on my laptop)
mothers were from my orp flock, there was buff, lavender,blue and black orps. none of these 4 has feathering on the legs..but im pretty positive some of the other 14 did....

out of these 4, only chick#2 and chick#4 have 5 toes, the other two have only 4 toes

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom