Silkie breeding - Color Combinations - NEED TO DECIDE WHICH ROO's TO KEEP

hfrazier

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2015
Southwestern Colorado
Hello All,

I have read many a post but would like a recommendation from someone who understands this better than I. I only would like to keep two roos in my flock...(I also have golden comet hens)....What would be the most optimal color of Roos to keep for breeding purposes?

I have...

Silkie HENS
1 White
3 Partridge
1 buff
1 maybe 2 blue (Bearded)
1 black (Bearded)

Silkie ROOS
2 Buff
1 Red (he is gorgeous)
1 Black
3 maybe 4 Blue (Bearded)

Personally I would recommend going with the Black Silkies. You are less likely to have points deducted or get disqualified in a show for color violations with the Blacks.

If I keep a black, to go with my black hen, what other color is most versatile? I am guessing not a buff...unless I keep pairs.

For instance, can a gray be successfully bred to a white or a black to produce show colors?

I'm hoping to cover as many as possible with the other roo I keep.

If I keep a black, to go with my black hen, what other color is most versatile? I am guessing not a buff...unless I keep pairs.

For instance, can a gray be successfully bred to a white or a black to produce show colors?

I'm hoping to cover as many as possible with the other roo I keep.

To be successful in shows, I think you will need to keep pairs. Cross breeding color varieties is going to create major problems for you. Buffs are actually probably safer than whites as whites can get discolored spots on them very quickly. The first poultry show I ever entered (at the Hunt County fair in 1979), all of my white birds were disqualified because of some yellowing in the feathering that was caused by the corn in their diet.

Michael,

What about a partridge pair...now that I have a partridge cockerel that I wasn't expecting...do they throw a pretty consistent color? I think I may keep three for now.... the Gray, Partridge and Blue. They are the three that are the best quality...my black really is not attractive at all and is quite scraggly, the other blues are all pretty consistent looking and the buffs are a mess...but they seem to be developing slower than the rest. I do have a 'red' cockerel that is very full and fluffy and as much as he looks like the buffs, I rechecked my paperwork and he is the only red I ordered (only noticeable difference is his head color is more red than buff)....since he is so similar to the buffs would it hurt to breed him to my light buff little hen? They are hatchery stock. I don't want to breed for major shows, just the small 4H ones for my kids but I am thinking only occasionally hatching when I need to refill the flock. While it may be amateur breeding more for pets, I want to keep to a descent quality even considering they are hatchery misfits.

Michael,

What about a partridge pair...now that I have a partridge cockerel that I wasn't expecting...do they throw a pretty consistent color? I think I may keep three for now.... the Gray, Partridge and Blue. They are the three that are the best quality...my black really is not attractive at all and is quite scraggly, the other blues are all pretty consistent looking and the buffs are a mess...but they seem to be developing slower than the rest. I do have a 'red' cockerel that is very full and fluffy and as much as he looks like the buffs, I rechecked my paperwork and he is the only red I ordered (only noticeable difference is his head color is more red than buff)....since he is so similar to the buffs would it hurt to breed him to my light buff little hen? They are hatchery stock. I don't want to breed for major shows, just the small 4H ones for my kids but I am thinking only occasionally hatching when I need to refill the flock. While it may be amateur breeding more for pets, I want to keep to a descent quality even considering they are hatchery misfits.

I've read some mixed review on the challenges of breeding Partridge colored birds, and had a few of them, but I've never entered any of them in shows. There is a complete thread devoted to Partridge Silkies at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526271/partridge-silkies-nothing-else. I would suggest posting any questions you have about breeding Partridge Silkies on that thread. Someone there can probably give you much better feedback than I can. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom