Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Jingle and Jangle with mama Icelynn
smile.png

This seems to be the place where all the Silkie experts hang out so I figured I'd ask here rather than start a new thread. I accidentally acquired 11 Silkies and they're all different colors. There's some obvious blacks, but some I have no idea. There is a roo in the bunch so if I shouldn't breed them please let me know. Sorry for the crappy pics, they were running around like crazy!

Roo

Any help is greatly appreciated!

This seems to be the place where all the Silkie experts hang out so I figured I'd ask here rather than start a new thread. I accidentally acquired 11 Silkies and they're all different colors. There's some obvious blacks, but some I have no idea. There is a roo in the bunch so if I shouldn't breed them please let me know. Sorry for the crappy pics, they were running around like crazy!

Roo

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Looks like some partridges to me.

I'll get some better pics, some of these are really crazy looking. There are a few that look really good though. One looks blue with very light splotches and a little brown. Not that I have a lot of experience, but I have no clue on some of these colors.

Here are some better pics of the 2 I'm most interested in. Any advice on the actual color name and if possible can you tell the sex?

#1 if you zoom in on the wings you can see some sort of penciling/patterns at the tips.

#2 light blue undercoat with darker outside, there's also brown/tan mixed throughout. The head is dark though.

Here are a couple of pics with both of them in them.
Facing each other.

From the back at the top of the photo.

Also, is this the comb of a cockerel, or small enough to be a pullet?

Last edited:
Here are some better pics of the 2 I'm most interested in. Any advice on the actual color name and if possible can you tell the sex?

#1 if you zoom in on the wings you can see some sort of penciling/patterns at the tips.

#2 light blue undercoat with darker outside, there's also brown/tan mixed throughout. The head is dark though.
This one is blue; the brown i almost certainly sunburned feathers

Here are a couple of pics with both of them in them.
Facing each other.

From the back at the top of the photo.

Also, is this the comb of a cockerel, or small enough to be a pullet?

Back
Top Bottom