Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Right now its really too early to sex. Op is likely guessing male because of the crest tending to swoop backward while females are more round but at this age you can't really tell. I have a 5 week old confirmed dna tested female and her crest is a lot like your birds right now. I'll show pic. but I'd say its too early to tell. Here is my 5 week old female if you would like to compare to her.

Right now its really too early to sex. Op is likely guessing male because of the crest tending to swoop backward while females are more round but at this age you can't really tell. I have a 5 week old confirmed dna tested female and her crest is a lot like your birds right now. I'll show pic. but I'd say its too early to tell. Here is my 5 week old female if you would like to compare to her.

Oh, okay. She/he had some pin feathers making its crest look funny when I took that one.

Did you have this one DNA tested?If not It is way to early to say it is definitely a pullet, the comb from this angle looks large for a pullet too.

ah yes much better:)  How much is it to dna test?

it was only ten dollars a sample at Accu-metrics lab!! I tested 4 babies and got two females. Each sample was put into a seprate envelope and coordinates with the leg band color. When I sent in the samples it would read buff green or buff red meaning the samples came from the bird wearing the green and red leg bands. When the results come they read the same way like buff red female or buff green male the leg bands remain on until the results and sexes are seprate. This prevents any confusion or mix ups. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom