Silkie chick continuous stress call

Just Rosie

Songster
7 Years
May 10, 2016
Recently I hatched 19 silkie chicks from my birds. All them seem to be doing very well, except for one.

This chick, about 2 days ago (They are 4-6 days old, this chick is 4 days) began distress calling. It has not stopped that I can tell.

I have inspected the chick multiple times since noticing, looking for pasty butt, observing her and her flockmates, and nothing seems overtly wrong.

I have seen her drink, although it seemed to be a slow process when she did, almost as if she did not understand how to get the water.

I have not seen her eat yet. But I only noticed the problem yesterday, and since she is only 4 days old, I feel up until now she has been relying on her yolk.

She seems to be moving well, but mostly just tries to snuggle up with the other chicks. The only thing I've noticed is a very slight bend in her toe, that I think might just be a mild case of curly toe.

This chick is small, but not the runt.(The runt is surprisingly robust) She is probably the second smallest, and I don't think she is growing as fast as her flockmates, but it is hard to be sure.

I'm not sure what to do. She is usually trying to burrow under her littermates. I wondered if maybe she could be crying for a mother? They were never exposed to an adult chicken. The crying also does not stop if I hold her, unless I do so for a long time, and any disturbance/movement will cause her to begin crying again.

I'm worried she is beginning to lose her voice as well, or her stamina, as when I was down there just now, I noticed sometimes the distressed call would die down to an almost silent peeping (but not a happy peep).

I'm really worried I'm going to lose her. I'm at my wits end. I did syringe her a tiny amount of water (very small amounts at a time, drop by drop) and I also gave her 0.5ml of B12 by mouth.

I decided to put a broody hen I happen to have in there to see if that would help with things. She has seemed to accept them and at least half of them are snuggling up to her, including the distressed chick (but I think thats because the others were there). When the other chicks are still, she calms down to the concerning quiet peep.

I'm hoping if the chick is hungry and that is why she is crying, maybe the broody hen can teach her to eat?

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I am very scared to lose this chick.

Update:

So I noted that she is not eating or drinking on her own. I have been trying to syringe feed her, but it is hard when I have to work late.

She is pretty weak, barely able to stand. I was nervous to aspirate her so I was doing small amount of raw yolk+b12 and water. Now I am saying "screw it" and trying to fill her crop completely at each feeding.

She is still peeping but not as much and not as loud. I think thats unfortunately due to her being weaker.

I have been weighing her, and she is losing weight, which I know is super bad. Weights are as followed:

4/14 - 18.4g

4/15 AM - 17.9g

4/15 PM - 16.6g

The outlook is not hopeful, I know. I'm hoping for advice to keep her going. She's clearly a fighter, how long she has been going.

Tomorrow I'm going to bring home some turkey/ham/chicken baby food. I also have access to wet dog and cat food, which I may bring home and try. I know its not ideal but the chick feed is impossible to feed through a syringe.

I'm so sorry your baby is not doing well. I know how heartbreaking that can be. When my chick's first arrived I had one doing the same thing. She was a day old buff orpington. She cried the first night then her legs started sticking out in strange directions. I tried sugar water thinking the trip in the mail was too hard for her. I lost her the very next day. I hope yours does better then mine did. Please keep us posted.

Update:

I have added Corid, b12, apple cider vinegar, and probiotics to her water. I am able to get roughly 1ml total fluids in her at 1 time, usually 0.5ml food and 0.5ml water.

I am now weighing her before and after each feeding.

She is becoming progressively weaker, to the point where she falls and cant get up on her own. I found a small "cup" that I have been weighing her in, which I have put her in while she is in the brooder.

She constantly cries. The only time she does not cry is when she is actively swallowing food. Otherwise, it is non-stop distress call. I honestly have not witnessed her sleeping, but this could be due to the times I go down there.

Something I noticed during our latest feeding: it is hard to be sure, but I don't think she has a tongue. In my experience with seeing chicken tongues (which is admittedly rare), the tongue itself has been an obvious, separate structure from the rest of the mouth. With her, I can only see the inside of her mouth. I have not forced her mouth open, as I'm scared she would fight me and exhaust herself, so I can't be positive.

I'm worried she is nearing the end, and I'm questioning the ethics of what I am doing.

Normally I am very much an agressive minded person when it comes to medicine and treatment. However, I have the clarity to understand when an animal *shouldn't* be kept alive, as it is the continuation of suffering. I understand quality of life matters just as much as viability, if not more.

I have found nothing overtly wrong with this chick. From day 1-3, she was as happy and healthy as the rest of the chicks. This started around day 4 (I believe), and has not stopped.

My only conclusion, after ruling out heat supply, food, and water (and socialization), is that this chick is, for some reason, in pain. And the fact that she *never* stops distress calling makes me think it is a constant, possibly severe pain.

I can't understand her symptoms. The only thing I can attribute them to is a potentially septic yolk-sac/abdomen. And we know that the prognosis for that is pretty poor.

I have had chicks with an infected yolk before. They usually only make it to day 3-4, and are often just quiet, lethargic babies.

At this point, I feel like I will never know what is wrong with her, despite combing the web for any inkling of an answer.

She is not growing. I don't feel as if she is absorbing the nutrients I supply to her. You can see this in her weight chart. She gains about a gram after being fed, but drops back down once her crop empties.

She is still defecating but they are pretty watery or sticky. There is never any blood.

I guess now I am questioning less *how* to save her and moreso wondering *if* I should save her. Is it right to put her through this when she is clearly distressed, despite my best efforts? She is not actively eating or trying to. I'm convinced I am only prolonging her suffering by syringe feeding her. Giving her just enough sustenance to survive an hour longer.

Sorry this post has become so depressing. I have dealt with plenty of sick chicks, even when the ending wasn't happy. But this is something else.

Here is her updated weight chart for anyone wondering.

4/14/24 - 18.4g

4/15/24 AM - 17.9g

4/15/24 PM - 16.6g

4/16/24 AM (pre feeding) - 16.1g

4/16 2p pre feed - 16.4g

4/16 2p post feed - 17.4g

4/16 5p pre feed - 16.7g

4/16 5p post feed - 17.5g

Update:

I have added Corid, b12, apple cider vinegar, and probiotics to her water. I am able to get roughly 1ml total fluids in her at 1 time, usually 0.5ml food and 0.5ml water.

I am now weighing her before and after each feeding.

She is becoming progressively weaker, to the point where she falls and cant get up on her own. I found a small "cup" that I have been weighing her in, which I have put her in while she is in the brooder.

She constantly cries. The only time she does not cry is when she is actively swallowing food. Otherwise, it is non-stop distress call. I honestly have not witnessed her sleeping, but this could be due to the times I go down there.

Something I noticed during our latest feeding: it is hard to be sure, but I don't think she has a tongue. In my experience with seeing chicken tongues (which is admittedly rare), the tongue itself has been an obvious, separate structure from the rest of the mouth. With her, I can only see the inside of her mouth. I have not forced her mouth open, as I'm scared she would fight me and exhaust herself, so I can't be positive.

I'm worried she is nearing the end, and I'm questioning the ethics of what I am doing.

Normally I am very much an agressive minded person when it comes to medicine and treatment. However, I have the clarity to understand when an animal *shouldn't* be kept alive, as it is the continuation of suffering. I understand quality of life matters just as much as viability, if not more.

I have found nothing overtly wrong with this chick. From day 1-3, she was as happy and healthy as the rest of the chicks. This started around day 4 (I believe), and has not stopped.

My only conclusion, after ruling out heat supply, food, and water (and socialization), is that this chick is, for some reason, in pain. And the fact that she *never* stops distress calling makes me think it is a constant, possibly severe pain.

I can't understand her symptoms. The only thing I can attribute them to is a potentially septic yolk-sac/abdomen. And we know that the prognosis for that is pretty poor.

I have had chicks with an infected yolk before. They usually only make it to day 3-4, and are often just quiet, lethargic babies.

At this point, I feel like I will never know what is wrong with her, despite combing the web for any inkling of an answer.

She is not growing. I don't feel as if she is absorbing the nutrients I supply to her. You can see this in her weight chart. She gains about a gram after being fed, but drops back down once her crop empties.

She is still defecating but they are pretty watery or sticky. There is never any blood.

I guess now I am questioning less *how* to save her and moreso wondering *if* I should save her. Is it right to put her through this when she is clearly distressed, despite my best efforts? She is not actively eating or trying to. I'm convinced I am only prolonging her suffering by syringe feeding her. Giving her just enough sustenance to survive an hour longer.

Sorry this post has become so depressing. I have dealt with plenty of sick chicks, even when the ending wasn't happy. But this is something else.

Here is her updated weight chart for anyone wondering.

4/14/24 - 18.4g

4/15/24 AM - 17.9g

4/15/24 PM - 16.6g

4/16/24 AM (pre feeding) - 16.1g

4/16 2p pre feed - 16.4g

4/16 2p post feed - 17.4g

4/16 5p pre feed - 16.7g

4/16 5p post feed - 17.5g
I'm so sorry you're having problems with your chick. Unfortunately it sounds like this may be a "failure to thrive" situation. I've had a couple in the past like this that were just weaker or possibly had internal or genetic issues.

I've never hatched my own but when I've brought chicks home from purchasing them I always dip their beaks in the water until it appears that they "get it." Then I put crumble feed on a plate or floor of the brooder and tap my finger while making the rooster tidbitting noise, sometimes picking up some food and dropping it. It usually doesn't take much time at all and everyone is eating and drinking good-sometimes I have to show an individual a few more times.

In the times I've had chicks like yours it's usually apparent pretty quickly. I just go through the same process again-dip the beak, show the food while tidbitting-and I make sure to do it multiple times per hour. Some perk up and end up being just a bit smaller while a couple just never snapped out of it. I never syringed nutrients but I knew if one passed away I did everything I could do to save the little one.

I understand you have to work and can't be there all the time, but just do what you have the ability to do and hope for the best. I know it's sad and hard to watch, but if the little one doesn't make it you know you did what you could. I'm hoping for the best for you and your chick! 🤞

If she is non stop crying and not gaining weight I would put her down. Sadly I had to put one of my 3 day old chicks down today as the just kept degrading and were in pain. It really sucks, especially after you tried so hard to keep them going.

You can't see a tongue?

Any chance there's a hair or tiny thread wrapped around the tongue and has pulled it back? Take a flashlight and look really well.

I'm sorry she's still not thriving. Constant peeping for days on end and getting weaker, it's likely time to put her down.

Unfortunately, some chicks fail to thrive.

I am not an expert, am only on my 4th brood, but the statement that she seemed to be okay until day 3 makes me suspect that it's a problem with eating/digesting.

Don't chicks survive on yolk until day 3?

Experts?
@Wyorp Rock

You can't see a tongue?

Any chance there's a hair or tiny thread wrapped around the tongue and has pulled it back? Take a flashlight and look really well.

After inspecting a bit closer I do now see her tongue. It seems small, like maybe it is half the length it should be, but I could be making that up. I do not see anything wrapped around it. It seems to be laying flat/comfortably at the base of her beak.

Back
Top Bottom