Silkie chick possible neurological issues or is it something else?

BeanSprout

Chirping
May 4, 2021
I posted yesterday with a video of my poor lil silkie chick who hatched yesterday morning. She was displaying symptoms of what appeared to be wry neck, or like it had choked or aspirated. Every time she would try to fall asleep she would wake up after a few seconds in a fit like way, walk backwards, fall over, shake her head and gasp. I was sure she was going to die but it’s been a whole 24 hours and she’s still kicking it. Today her gasping behavior isn’t as prevelant- haven’t seen it in a few hours- but she is still all wobbly and can’t seem to figure out how to walk forward. I also noticed she keeps one of her eyes shut (more on this below). I gave her vitamin e and egg yolk earlier this evening and added electrolytes to their water.

Back to the eye shut- with my silkies some of their cheek muffs are so long and fluffy when they hatch that the little fluffs touch their eyeball. I believe this is why they sometimes keep one closed. Usually I’ll just wet down a qtip and move the fluff from their eyes. With this one I noticed that in addition to the one eye held shut the one it did have open had several fluffs in it as well, and I believe this could possibly be the cause of some of its seemingly neurological issues. The head shaking, stumbling backwards, sudden jerking awake (it’s probably uncomfortable having the hair in it’s eyeball!) like I said, the eye held shut doesn’t concern me anymore as it’s quite common in the chicks I hatch and does resolve itself. Is it possible this chick has this problem extra bad and that’s why it’s displaying these symptoms? The gasping can’t be explained from this but I feel everything else could. When I wet it’s fluffs down it opened both eyes and seemed more alert and stable than I’d seen it yet, still slightly wobbly but maybe it never had any depth perception until now.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I haven’t seen any other posts about this problem, but I have seen many people questioning why their silkies keep their eyes shut at times and I know for mine it’s the fluff poking the eye. I’d love some feedback. The video of my chick is on my last post.

READ ME - Gapworm
READ ME - Common Problems
READ ME - Sick, Unwell, or Dying?
READ ME - Chicken Shaking Head / How to Treat
READ ME - Chick Illness and Issues
READ ME - Chick Illness and Neurological Symptoms
READ ME - Diseases Common In Silkies
READ ME - Care For Silkie Chicks Diet

It can be common for newly hatched chicks to not start walking until they're a couple of days old. Mine hatched and didn't walk, stand up, move, or try to drink or eat until he was almost a 1 and 1/2.He would try to stand up a couple of days after hatching, but fall over. I think she just has to take a couple of days and get some food in her system ( today or tomorrow ) She might be gasping because of the brooder being too hot if she's constantly under a warm lamp ( She might also be dehydrating so dip her beak in some water and let her drink )

HOW TO SPOT PROBLEMS OF NEWLY HATCHED CHICKS

WHY ISN'T MY BABY CHICK ABLE TO STAND OR WALK?

I posted yesterday with a video of my poor lil silkie chick who hatched yesterday morning. She was displaying symptoms of what appeared to be wry neck, or like it had choked or aspirated. Every time she would try to fall asleep she would wake up after a few seconds in a fit like way, walk backwards, fall over, shake her head and gasp. I was sure she was going to die but it’s been a whole 24 hours and she’s still kicking it. Today her gasping behavior isn’t as prevelant- haven’t seen it in a few hours- but she is still all wobbly and can’t seem to figure out how to walk forward. I also noticed she keeps one of her eyes shut (more on this below). I gave her vitamin e and egg yolk earlier this evening and added electrolytes to their water.

Back to the eye shut- with my silkies some of their cheek muffs are so long and fluffy when they hatch that the little fluffs touch their eyeball. I believe this is why they sometimes keep one closed. Usually I’ll just wet down a qtip and move the fluff from their eyes. With this one I noticed that in addition to the one eye held shut the one it did have open had several fluffs in it as well, and I believe this could possibly be the cause of some of its seemingly neurological issues. The head shaking, stumbling backwards, sudden jerking awake (it’s probably uncomfortable having the hair in it’s eyeball!) like I said, the eye held shut doesn’t concern me anymore as it’s quite common in the chicks I hatch and does resolve itself. Is it possible this chick has this problem extra bad and that’s why it’s displaying these symptoms? The gasping can’t be explained from this but I feel everything else could. When I wet it’s fluffs down it opened both eyes and seemed more alert and stable than I’d seen it yet, still slightly wobbly but maybe it never had any depth perception until now.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I haven’t seen any other posts about this problem, but I have seen many people questioning why their silkies keep their eyes shut at times and I know for mine it’s the fluff poking the eye. I’d love some feedback. The video of my chick is on my last post.
So how is your little chick? Did you treat her for wry neck ? If so how did it go?

My chick is 5 weeks old and doing the exact same thing! What did it end up being?! Im suoer concerned for her 😭
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of your chick or a video of her actions?

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

What do you feed including treats and is grit available?
Is her crop emptying overnight?

For neurological symptoms like Wry Neck, you can try treating with 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of your chick or a video of her actions?

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

What do you feed including treats and is grit available?
Is her crop emptying overnight?

For neurological symptoms like Wry Neck, you can try treating with 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex.

Back
Top Bottom