Silkie Chicken Can't Aim at Food

sarahtruck

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2016
I just adopted a new silkie into my flock and I think that she is having trouble seeing. She can't aim at treats in my hand and I think it is also making it difficult for her to use the nipple. She is about 8 weeks old and I have only had her for a couple of days so I can't say whether she has always had this trouble. Has anyone seen this before? Do you think that it is her poof? If so, can I trim it? Or is this another problem?
Thanks!

It is pretty common. You can trim her crest and then she will be able to function just fine. Just be careful to have someone hold her while you trim her crest because once she can see what you are doing she might freak out and make it hard to trim her safely.

I gave her a haircut and it worked. I'm so relieved that she can see her food and hit the water nipple! So funny that those silkie 'fros can make it so hard for them to see :)

I gave her a haircut and it worked. I'm so relieved that she can see her food and hit the water nipple! So funny that those silkie 'fros can make it so hard for them to see
smile.png

Great! I'm glad that it worked out. They are really fun.

Back
Top Bottom