Silkie chicken properly given boys name

bpadivers

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
Laredo, Texas
Our silkie is right at 5 months. We have been awaiting an egg. Well yesterday morning I went out to give him water and he was trying to crow to match the neighbors rooster.......guess we will be waiting for our polish chickens to get bigger.

How can you tell polish chicken gender at a young age? I have 10 chicks, I can only keep 4-5. I want all hens since Olaf turned out be the rooster.

Question: Can a silkie breed with a polish crested?

By the way, these are the first chickens ive ever had. I want them to roam the yard as soon as they are big enough to take on the cat. I have 2 -4month old pheasants as well, one significantly bigger than the other which I hope means its a male female paid. No green head yet though.

If you post some pics of the polish chicks I'm sure people can help you out with the genders on them. it;s fairly easy to tell on Polish by crest shape. I don't have a lot of experience with them, though.

Yes, Polish and Silkies can cross. the chicks would combine the Polish and Silkie traits [crest, feather legs, dark skin, small combs, some extra toes, beards if the parents are bearded] but would all be straight feathered like Polish.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom