Silkie Color and Gender?

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
9 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
I posted a thread back when my Silkies were a mere couple days old, the down color of which stumped many. Now they're 3 months old, and I believe most are unrecognized, as well as varieties that don't exist. Guessing Townline simply threw a bunch of Silkies together, hatched from them, and sold the resulting offspring. These are honestly the worst quality I've seen yet. Single combs, pea combs, comb types that aren't a "thing," lack of 5 toes, 6 toes on one foot....my little munchkins run the gamut! :th

Because they're unusual for their breed, I'm pretty sure of genders on most. However, there are a few that still aren't obvious. Any input is appreciated! :) Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken as far as color/gender.
#1. Black pullet. There's brown leakage in her hackles.
DSCN9355.JPG

#2. Cockerel of unknown variety. Reminds me a lot of the Columbian color type, although I'm aware Columbian Silkies aren't available. Looked like a Silver Spangled Hamburg as a chick.
DSCN9367.JPG

#3. Color type? Gender?
DSCN9408.JPG

#4. Color type? Gender?
DSCN9442.JPG

#5. Cockerel, albeit unknown color type. He's buff with red shoulder bars, and lavender/blue scattered throughout.
DSCN9465.JPG

#6. Splash pullet.
DSCN9501.JPG

#7. Pullet, and color type is a mystery. Looks VERY similar to Silver Partridge hens, however, she was a solid blue chick.
DSCN9511.JPG

#8. Buff with black in the hackles, tail, and leg feathering. Squats (akin to a hen at point of lay) for me every time I attempt to pick it up.
DSCN9575.JPG

#9. Unknown color type, unknown gender. Squats when picked up, just like above Silkie.
DSCN9611.JPG

#10. Partridge pullet.
DSCN9633.JPG

~Alex

I think most are beautiful - they don't have to win Best in Show. How are their temperaments? Do they have any broody instincts? You live with them, I'm sure you would know their gender much better than us, using just photographs. I wouldn't be ashamed of them at all.
How sweet! :) Around here, show-quality isn't a priority (thank goodness! ;)).

Their personalities are about as varied as their looks. A few are as quiet, gentle, and docile as you could ask for, while others were born fireballs. #1 and #10 find every opportunity to attack my feet, sometimes even chasing them down. Hands aren't exempt, either. :lol: Probably pretty obvious those two are my favorites, right? ;) Gotta love the feisty ones.

So far, no broody behavior out of the pullets....most likely due to the fact they aren't laying yet. :)

True, true. Still not experienced in the Silkie world (determining gender, especially), but I think I'm starting to catch on. :)
I do wish silkie folks would scale back those awful"tumors," Walnuts combs that ruin the whole look of the breed. I don't know what kind would fit better but, just as small as possible.
They do indeed bear a rather "tumor-like" appearance. :confused: You'd love these munchkins; most don't have correct walnut combs! ;)
I think every single one of them is gorgeous. :love
Awwww, thank you soooo much! :love
they're adorable, especially that black one :love
Thank you! :D Her looks are deceiving....we didn't christen her Scary for nothing! :love:lol:

~Alex

Thank you! :D They may be of awful quality, but that doesn't stop me from thinking they're pretty in their own, unique way.

Interesting observation....I have to agree.

Pullets, eh? :)

~Alex
I'm being optimistic. ;) to me they are good looking birds. I don't like the ones that can't see.

A nice bunch of silkies. The unknown colors look like partridge to me in various shades. I don't know about sex of them. Most look like pullets.
Thank you! :D They may be of awful quality, but that doesn't stop me from thinking they're pretty in their own, unique way.

Interesting observation....I have to agree.

Pullets, eh? :)

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom