Silkie color genetics

You need to try and see. You will get a mosh mash of colours! Some will be nice others ugly.

I have a question about my little silkie cockerel. If anybody knows the answer without having to look anything up, I'd appreciate it. I can research it myself, but I'm not a chicken breeder, just a backyard owner.

A local breeder sold me a porcelain silkie chick when it was just a few days old. Once he lost his baby down, his feathers grew in all white. He's a lovely little bearded and crested bird with bright blue earlobes and a dark blue comb, and even though some of my hens think he's a tiny nuisance, I adore him and am keeping him as a pet.

My question is whether I was knowingly sold a chick that would definitely not be a porcelain, or if the fact that he turned out all white was just a a mistake the breeder made by not knowing how genetics would turn out once he lost the mixed-colored down. Oh, and he sold him to me as a pullet, too. I can understand that mistake, since silkies are notoriously difficult to sex correctly.

I'm not planning to part with my little silkie, if you're worried. I'm just curious if the all-white silkie is a possibility when breeding for porcelains.

Thanks in advance!

I have a black silkie hen. Which do you think would be a better color to have as her mate. As buff or gray rooster? Would the buff wash out the black in the chicks?

I also have a bearded white hen and I love the bearded silkies the most.I have two different roos to pick from. One is a bearded roo with a bit of brown in him. The other is a non-bearded pure white rooster.
The pure white roo is super sweet and I would like to keep him but I am wondering if I would get non- bearded chicks.
The bearded roo is friendly but not as cuddly. What holds me back on him is that I don't mind the brown streaked white chickens but I am afraid if I have one parent with the brown streaks I may not get any pure white chicks.

To narrow down the second question a bit- can you still get bearded chicks when one parent is non-bearded? Would it be better to have the bearded but lose the pure white? or will I lose the pure white.

The bummer of all of this is I have 7 silkies and only two are hens. GGRRR LOl So I need to make some decisions on who I am keeping and any help would be great.

Greay Silkies are very easy to tell from blue silkies. Blue Silkies should have dark navy blue hackles and a lighter body, and Gray Silkies should have light silver hackles with a darker body.

Grays (picture from internet)

11916_grays.jpg

Blue (picture from internet)

11916_blue_silkie_cockerl.jpg
I can't see them. Can you post the photos again?
Thanks.

Hello, new to breeding silkies but not poultry, have bred and raised by clucky Bantums, incubator and brooder or their parents bitser chooks, king quail and Jap quails.

I have recently got 2 great and pure looking buff boys that are father and son, a white boy that was cross polish so passed him on to someone else and a white pure looking girl.

This week I will be getting a pure looking white boy to set up with the girl and a few buff girls to go with the buff boys if any left at the end of the week.

I am considering getting a grey boy and girl but that will require making another large pen and I'll already be spending on mesh and star pickets to split off some of my dog pen and chook pen for the whites and buffs (the pens are about 10 metres X 6-7 metres).

Would it be worth getting the greys, are they as popular as the whites and buffs? Which I'll be keeping for pets and selling their fertile eggs and young.

Also considering getting just the grey girl to house with the buffs to try crossing with a birchen Cochin Bantum male, this one to exact https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yabulu/birds/pekin-cockerels/1178654904 or to pair with the buff boys.
Would I have a chance of good results or just washed out bitser types please?
I read about 10 pages of this thread 1st and googled around for birchen X silkie pics and am still unsure.

Back
Top Bottom