Silkie color genetics

Pics
I bred and showed Persian Cats for years. I understand there color genetics fine,but can't grasp this on chickens..Is there anyone that actually makes it easier to understand? Have looked at the charts..think I'm losing it!!

So what are the genetics of the self blue aka lavender silkies? What rooster color would I want to breed to to get more lavenders other than another lavender if my hen is lavender? My new 3 month old lavender hen

So what are the genetics of the self blue aka lavender silkies? What rooster color would I want to breed to to get more lavenders other than another lavender if my hen is lavender? My new 3 month old lavender hen

You have to have two copies of lavender to get lavender, You could possible cross her with a porcelain (blue cream) rooster and still get some lavender babies. She is lovely by the way! There is a lavender thread if you want to learn more about lavenders (self blue). Here it is and also the porcelain thread.:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/317906/self-blue-lavender-silkie-thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/548377/porcelain-silkie-thread

Hello everyone!
frow.gif

I have a couple of silkies that I'm not sure of what color they are. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The first 3 pics are of birds that are around 4 months old.

1. Black silkie with silver on him, named "BlackJack". He is really hard to get pics of.

2. Porcelain? silkie around 4 months old. His name is "Rufus"

3. Partridge? Female named "Bon Bon"

The rest of the birds pictured are around 2 months old.

4. Black with Red wings, neck. Male?

5. Black with red/gold neck. Female?

6. Red? male?

Group photo

Thanks!

Hello. . I am really new to silkies and chickens in general. .. I am getting a splash rooster and two gray silkies. . If I hatch their eggs what would I get? ..

I was wondering if I put this boy over some lavender girls will the offspring be similar color just more dilute than him (the reddish or buff areas of course)?

He seems to be much darker than any other porcelain silkie cocks I've seen.

I was told he is porcelain from a catdance mating.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom