Silkie Feathered Ameraucanas adventure

I want some they are so cool looking but I don't have an incubator so would have to buy day old chicks I guess Dh my shoot me but I would love to have some they are so pretty.

Quote:
Mine are pretty quiet, too. Actually, I find it quite curious how they all 3 stick together. They are in a group of about 35 or so, and they all 3 stay together, the Buckeyes stay together, and the Delawares .... well they are all over the place!
gig.gif

I know, it is so strange! It isn't as though they can tell what breed they are, no mirrors in the coop! But I have been letting them free range some and it is fun to see the jump up and stick up for themselves every now and then.

I should have got pictures yesterday but was busy tagging everyone. Now the weather is nasty again!

I don't remember for sure what your guess was, but I'm thinking 1 cockerel/3 pullets from those pics. Definitely cute, cute.

I see attitude and posing in Kathy's pics all the time, most certainly from one of her roos. Interesting that they do roost. Possibly learned behavior from the others. Is there a certain height limit that you've noticed Kathy?

Quote:
In my last picture, that roost is less than a foot off the ground. But, in the picture above that one ..... it is a nest that is over 2 feet off the ground.

Germaine,
Love the pictures! How they have grown! The just look huggable, don't they? Thanks for the pictures. They are such beautiful birds! I am getting excited at the prospect of breeding them soon, aren't you? Ooooohhhhh, what fun!

The one that's 2ft up, are there other places to hop gradually up to it? The breeder in Humansville is entirely Paul Smith for their BBS and breed for exhibition. Nothing right now, but maybe in the future and within an hour of you. They're adding me to there email updates list.

How was Joe's? I love seeing other's set-ups to glean ideas.

I wouldn't fret too much over just the one roo. That's what I'll be starting with. I'm going to run 2 pens to start. One pen with the SAM roo over BBS AM hens and 1 pen with a BBS AM roo over the SAM hens. I'll add the split pullets to the first pen and put a split roo over the 2nd and then start a 3rd pen with a SAM roo from their offspring. Plenty of SAM roos in no time.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom