Silkie hen cant walk

Tiffy316

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2019
I have a young silkie hen who suddenly can't walk for an unknown reason. I checked her for injuries, but couldn't find any. She had some nasal discharge and feels kinda skinny, but she seems to be energetic and is still eating and drinking.

I'm not sure when this started, but I found her sleeping on the ground last night. She was fine last week, so I'm not sure why she can't walk. My dad has been messing with the roof of the barn, so there's a possibility that she might've eaten something she shouldn't have that fell into the chicken pen, but all of my other chickens are fine.

I don't feel any eggs inside her, so I don't think it's egg binding. Does anyone know what might be wrong with her?

Is her sternum sticking out?
Any signs of diarrhea or abnormal fecal matter?
Any wheezing or crackling noises when breathing?
What diet is she on and what’s her vitamin/mineral intake?
And any discharge around the eyes or just the nose?

Is her sternum sticking out?
Any signs of diarrhea or abnormal fecal matter?
Any wheezing or crackling noises when breathing?
What diet is she on and what’s her vitamin/mineral intake?
And any discharge around the eyes or just the nose?
Her sternum is sticking out and she does make some small wheezing noises when she breathes. She gets layer crumbles with scratch grains mixed in. IDK about her vitamin intake, but I did give her some poultry cell yesterday. I haven't seen any diahreah or eye discharge,

Her sternum is sticking out and she does make some small wheezing noises when she breathes. She gets layer crumbles with scratch grains mixed in. IDK about her vitamin intake, but I did give her some poultry cell yesterday. I haven't seen any diahreah or eye discharge,
She’s losing a lot of weight then and she’s got a respiratory issue.

I have a young silkie hen who suddenly can't walk for an unknown reason. I checked her for injuries, but couldn't find any. She had some nasal discharge and feels kinda skinny, but she seems to be energetic and is still eating and drinking.

I'm not sure when this started, but I found her sleeping on the ground last night. She was fine last week, so I'm not sure why she can't walk. My dad has been messing with the roof of the barn, so there's a possibility that she might've eaten something she shouldn't have that fell into the chicken pen, but all of my other chickens are fine.

I don't feel any eggs inside her, so I don't think it's egg binding. Does anyone know what might be wrong with her?
Please post some photos of her and her poop.

How old is she?

Is her crop emptying overnight?
Any lice or mites?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
Was she laying eggs and has now stopped?

Do see that she's eating/drinking well. I'd give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.
Hard to know what's going on with her. She may have suffered injury or is presenting with illness like Mareks.

Please post some photos of her and her poop.

How old is she?

Is her crop emptying overnight?
Any lice or mites?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
Was she laying eggs and has now stopped?

Do see that she's eating/drinking well. I'd give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.
Hard to know what's going on with her. She may have suffered injury or is presenting with illness like Mareks.
She's between 8 months to a year. She doesn't have any lice, IDK if she's been vaccinated for mareks, I dont think she's been laying eggs recently. Also, she sleeps on the ground, so it's kinda hard to find her poop, but if I do get lucky, I'll post some pics of it.

Back
Top Bottom