Silkie hen keeps trying to attack me.

Three Silkies

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Adelaide, South Australia
And yes, she's definitely a hen. She hatched in late August and started laying a few months ago. She went broody almost immediately and sat on an empty nest for 21 days and hasn't laid since. She used to squat and let me pat her before she went broody, but not anymore. She lives with her mum and two sisters and she bullies her sisters relentlessly (even though they're bigger than her). I used to push her off the nest when she was broody and I yell at her when she attacks her sisters. I think she really hates me. She charges at me and I swat her away before she can peck me. Does anyone else have a mean silkie girl? She's not even 1 year old yet,

And yes, she's definitely a hen. She hatched in late August and started laying a few months ago. She went broody almost immediately and sat on an empty nest for 21 days and hasn't laid since. She used to squat and let me pat her before she went broody, but not anymore. She lives with her mum and two sisters and she bullies her sisters relentlessly (even though they're bigger than her). I used to push her off the nest when she was broody and I yell at her when she attacks her sisters. I think she really hates me. She charges at me and I swat her away before she can peck me. Does anyone else have a mean silkie girl? She's not even 1 year old yet,
Im assuming you don't want her to be broody. if so, try one of the methods to break broodiness. i heard dunking the hen in a tub of (not cold but not warm) water for a few minutes will cool down the temp on her belly. you can find other methods just search breaking broodiness. Once you break the broodiness, please let me know if she is still aggressive with you. also try some of the methods like day by day getting more friendly with her.
Hope i helped
-Bailey Berman

Thanks, Bailey. No, I don't want her to be broody. I'll try the water trick (if she lets me)! Just now I was eating an ice cream and she came up and took a peck out of it. She's a strange bird!

She let me hand feed her some spinach today and hasn't tried any attacking, but she runs away if I try and pat her. She hasn't been laying since her first "imaginary hatching" two months ago, so no broodiness. But it will be interesting to see if she goes broody again when she starts laying again. Her mum never went broody. I had to stop collecting the eggs until there was a good pile there before she would sit on them (because I wanted chicks). After the chicks hatched, she didn't lay again for ages and then still isn't broody after laying. But this little daughter hen went broody almost immediately after she started laying. We shall see, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom