Silkie Hen stopped eating & drinking

Accidents happen. Don't beat yourself up too much. I'm not sure if she can survive with them in her, but I know you'll do your best to get them out. I hope it all comes out smoothly and she can return to her normal self. I'm very sorry this is happening, but keep your head up SCarolina Chick.

As I suspected Darcy had digestive problems. I took her to vet for x-ray. Results showed misc metal objects in her gizzard. I am tube feeding baby bird food for nutrition. I'm hoping she will pass everything and pull through. She is not looking or acting sick, but I know to overcome will be a battle & in God's hands now with as much help I can provide, thank-you for caring.

I was told by wildlife rescue to give her bread balls, made from center part of white bread. I have been forcing them down her and also tubing her with the KT hand feeding. She is starting to hate me, runs away and has started biting me. Any suggestions? I am getting real worried that I may just be prolonging her death.

How often are you feeding her? Is she eating anything on her own?

Now this I would run by someone else, but sometimes when a horse gets sick we've had to have a tube put in so we could put oil in their belly. Then we'd wait to see oil at the other end to make sure everything passed. I'm not sure if it would work with a chicken or what kind of oil would be safe.

Is she pooping at all?

As of today Darcy is at an exotic animal vet going under the knife. I couldn't sit around any more hoping everything would pass through. I'm now trying to figure out how to come up with the possible $1,500 - $2,000 estimate they gave me, hubby is going to kill me! Prior to the actual surgery they did a more complete x-Ray and it showed a number of items the worst being an open safety pin... I'm still waiting on the post surgery call to let me know how she did. Please keep your fingers crossed and say a little pray that she comes through this difficult operation. Deb

I'll be praying Deb. I hope it all works out and I hope they'll at least set up a payment plan with you. That's a large sum at one time but more importantly I hope your hen recovers well

Any news on how surgery went? Hopefully it all went well
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom