Silkie hen w/ broken wing!! Please Help!!

mariaschickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 8, 2012
Please Help!! I just got home. Went outside to feed all my chickies and noticed that my momma silkie was holding her wing out, kinda at a funny angle. When i picked her up to take a closer look, sure enough her wing is broken! Is there anything i can do for her? She doesnt act like she's in pain. Any suggestions?

Broken wings are easy to heal, IMO. There are two ways to treat a broken wing. First, you need to know if the wing really is broken.

I am sure that you probably know whether or not the chicken actually does have a broken wing, so please don't take offense, but, when she holds her wing at that funny angle, you should be able to reach under and feel the wing bone. If there are small, gritty feeling things under the skin, then the bone is definitely broken.

Now, if it hasn't broken the skin, you have two options: The easier one is to take a long stocking, and cut the closed end off. Then, slip this over the chicken's head, and adjust it around her. It should sit pretty tightly, bonding her wing closely to her side. This will also keep her other wing bonded down.

The other way to do this is to take gauze bandage, and wrap it around your chicken's chest. This is more expensive, and works the same way the stocking method would.

Hope this helps, and hope your henny gets better. Praying for your!
fl.gif

ETA: This coming from someone who has dealt with a broken wing before.

Last edited:
What about the other wing? Should it be tied down also? I would imagine this is going to be uncomfortable for her... Do i take the stocking off to let her stretch her other wing? Did i mention that this is a silky hen, she is so little... i dont want to hurt her... i'm a little nervous..lol

Back
Top Bottom