Love my Critters!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Carlsbad, NM
My silkie hen is 1 1/2 years old.
She had normal stool
No one in my flock has mites/parasites
She eats layer mash. They all get a little bit of scratch in the evenings (as treat)
I have not given anything else for a treat in several weeks.
Yesterday, she was holding one leg out and could not walk without limping and falling over. Once she falls over she can't get back up right. I felt both her legs, both bend well and seem normal with no broken bones that I can feel.
Is it spraddle leg? Is it broken? Is it a disease I need to be concerned about. The chickens free range in a 1 acre fenced area with 2 little nigerion goats. She could have gotten injured, although it is nothing visable from the outside. I do not know what I should do. She seems very strong still and wants to walk, eat, and drink with the others. She is so sweet and beatiful I do not want to have to kill her, but I don't want her to suffer either.
Does anyone have an advice as to what I should do. I have never had this happen to an adult before.
Thank you!
Edited to add that she squaks when she hears me like she is in pain or is scared.

Last edited:
I would put her in a crate to make her rest it for a while. See if it might heal itself by not using it. Did you look the foot over for splinters or injury? If you cannot find anything, its either resting it, or going to the vet
hu.gif
Thats all i can think of. Maybe someone will have some better advice soon
smile.png

try and keep her confined to a smallish area, preferably where she can see the others and they can see her..with soft bedding, so she can rest the leg..make sure she has feed and water, so she doesn't have to compete for food.

check the entire leg and hip area for any swelling or heat..
give her some plain yogurt..

check the bottom of the foot and between the toes for any sore, scab heat or swelling..(Bumblefoot)
or splinter, etc..

watch for any signs of weakness in the other leg or wings..
or if she staggers.

Last edited:
I have my layer hens in with 3 goats and I have a hen that has broken a toe on each foot by getting stepped on, but she still thinks she needs to snuggle with the goats.
hmm.png
I bet her toe was stepped on.

I have a chicken going through the same thing. When she does move she is in reverse mode all the time. I have a feeling that she is going to be an inside chicken for the rest her life. I am definitely NOT going to cull her!!! Hopefully with time she will get better.

Thanks everyone,
I have her in our garage in a box with a lot of pine shavings in it. I have her water and food in it also. She holds her leg straight out to the side. I have checked her over and I can't find any swelling, bruising, cuts, etc. She does "stagger" a bit trying to hobble on one leg, thats when sometimes she falls over and it takes her a while to get up right again. Like I said she is a silkie, but she seems to have her neck feathers fluffed and sticking out. Her crop feels normal. She doesn't seem to bend her hurt leg. Should I tape her like it is spraddle leg to help her get around better or not?

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom