Silkie - is it a cockerel or a pullet?

Sep 10, 2021
Ohio
For 22 weeks I have thought this Silkie was a pullet. I don't see any obvious streamers on the crest, or major waddles so I that it was a pullet. That was until this morning when it was prancing (as if to mount) next to other pullets and tid-bitting like a rooster. It has never shown these behaviors before or other cockerel behaviors. Now I'm confused about the gender. I'm including pics for identification assistance. I'd appreciate anyone's help sexing my Silkie. Thank you.
20221101_105519.jpg
20221101_105251.jpg
20221101_105521.jpg

For 22 weeks I have thought this Silkie was a pullet. I don't see any obvious streamers on the crest, or major waddles so I that it was a pullet. That was until this morning when it was prancing (as if to mount) next to other pullets and tid-bitting like a rooster. It has never shown these behaviors before or other cockerel behaviors. Now I'm confused about the gender. I'm including pics for identification assistance. I'd appreciate anyone's help sexing my Silkie. Thank you.View attachment 3308654View attachment 3308653View attachment 3308655
This beautiful bird is most definitely a Cockerel.😊

He actually has fairly significant wattles for a bearded Silkie. The bearding gene inhibits wattle growth so a bearded bird will always have smaller wattles than a non-bearded bird. Saddle feathers are difficult to see with silkied feathers. Streamers can also vary from bird to bird and he may not be done feathering in completely yet.😊

This beautiful bird is most definitely a Cockerel.😊
I have some ?s:
I have a mixed flock and am wondering if my standard roo will try and mate my Bantam girls?
I have another Bantam cockerel (Frizzle Cochin) will that be a problem?
Why is my Bantam Frizzle Cochin going after my Standard pullets too?
My flock dynamic has just changed so much...ugh

I have some ?s:
I have a mixed flock and am wondering if my standard roo will try and mate my Bantam girls?
I have another Bantam cockerel (Frizzle Cochin) will that be a problem?
Why is my Bantam Frizzle Cochin going after my Standard pullets too?
My flock dynamic has just changed so much...ugh
Flock dynamics can change from week to week and even day to day.😊
Your standard roo will definitely try to mate with your bantam girls and the same goes for your little bantam boys. They will definitely try and even successfully mate your standard hens.

Yes 100% cockerel but a very nice looking one at that! Lovely black color. He will try to mate with most likely ANY of your other hens. I had a silkie rooster try to mate with my huge Orpington whose is like three to four times larger than he was! 😂

Thank you for everyone's input. I'm a newbie Silkie owner and had no idea. He was a beautiful pullet- now he's a Handsome cockerel!
I can't wait to see how he and the Frizzle Cochin get on as they mature and share the flock of 12 hens when everyone's fully grown and mature. My pullets haven't started laying yet, but I figure it's any day.

Back
Top Bottom