Silkie mix?

Just looks like a bad quality silkie. Maybe has been mixed a few generations back.
To add, silked feathers are recessive as said above, but that could still mean his parents couldn've been silkie/silkie mix or silkie mix/silkie mix. Silkie mixes can be smooth feathered and carry the silked gene.
Is it possible to breed it out or should I just get another Roo that’s better looking?

Is it possible to breed it out or should I just get another Roo that’s better looking?
It's possible, but considering the single comb is recessive it would be difficult to get rid of completely. When bred to silkie hens his chicks would have walnut combs like silkies are supposed to but all chicks would carry his comb, which they can pass on to their chicks and it can pop up multiple generations later. You won't know which chickens carry it and which don't later down the line without test breeding each bird. Especially if you plan on selling the chicks as pure silkies, I strongly suggest getting a rooster with the proper comb.

Edit: he also seems to lack the blue earlobes silkies are meant to have.

It's possible, but considering the single comb is recessive it would be difficult to get rid of completely. When bred to silkie hens his chicks would have walnut combs like silkies are supposed to but all chicks would carry his comb, which they can pass on to their chicks and it can pop up multiple generations later. You won't know which chickens carry it and which don't later down the line without test breeding each bird. Especially if you plan on selling the chicks as pure silkies, I strongly suggest getting a rooster with the proper comb.
That makes sense. I will definitely be on the hunt for a pure silkie. We had gotten him as a chick so it was hard to tell then, I’ll check for older ones this time

Back
Top Bottom