Silkie pullet filled with air? blood?

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
Noticed a few days ago that my pullet silkie had a puffy chest. I thought that it was just her feathers filling in. Tonight when I went to put her up for the night I noticed that her puffy chest was not her feathers but something else. It almost felt like her crop was filled with air. I felt around, found her crop and it wasnt that. This feels like her whole body cavity is filled with air. I tried squeezing it a bit thinking that maybe it was her crop, but after a few small cries from her I stopped. I then looked at the area and she seems to have these random dark spots under her skin almost as if her body cavity is filled with a lot of blood. I have NO IDEA what is going on. I have had chickens for 4 years and I have never seen this before. She is walking around, eating, drinking and playing. What on earth could this be? I am so scared to lose her.

It sounds like something may be wrong with her air sacs...maybe a bacterial infection? Bacteria in the air sacs might be producing CO2 gas, producing the bloating effect. This may or may not explain the bruised look. This is only a conjecture. Sorry I can't be of more help
hmm.png
. I might separate her from the flock and give her an antibiotic just to be safe. I hope she gets better!

This could be due to an injury as well. We frequently get birds with air sac punctures from a predator that will fill them with subQ air. The antibiotics would fix it but you may want to look closer for evidence of trauma.

Back
Top Bottom