Silkie pullet or roo??

Nichole1984

Chirping
Sep 7, 2020
Hi everyone, this is my 14 week old silkie. Had been thinking this was a pullet up until about a week ago. Now I'm questioning myself. Is this a roo??
20240204_174951.jpg
20240204_174832.jpg
20240204_174805.jpg

Attachments

• 20240204_174925.jpg
    20240204_174925.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 8
It's still a little early to be positive, but look at the wattles it has. Hens get some too but not this early. It also looks like a wider comb than hens have, which might develop into the walnut silkie roos have. Plus, those tail feathers are roosterish.

He sure is pretty though. Is that called a splash or a silver partridge? I have one similar I never know what it is lol.

It's still a little early to be positive, but look at the wattles it has. Hens get some too but not this early. It also looks like a wider comb than hens have, which might develop into the walnut silkie roos have. Plus, those tail feathers are roosterish.

He sure is pretty though. Is that called a splash or a silver partridge? I have one similar I never know what it is lol.
Thank you for your reply. As far as I know it's called a splash.... (please , anyone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Thank you for your reply. As far as I know it's called a splash.... (please , anyone correct me if I'm wrong!)
I call mine a splash too but when I've posted pictures of her, one person said she's a silver partridge. I don't know about that though.

Attachments

• marsha 2.jpg
    marsha 2.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 8
Positive Male ~ This appears he is in the making of a rooster. Some feathers on the head are longer than the other feathers. This would definitely indicate that this is male. The hens will have a round head top with no extra feathers sticking out.

He's a cockerel. He doesn't quite look splash. Do you know what color his parents were? I'm not sure if he's silver partridge either. If he is then he's probably not a very good one. I'd call it a mixed color. Probably just a mess that has a lot of things going on. Doesnt mean he isn't quite pretty though! I've had chicks from mixed color parents come out looking like this when there was no way for the parents to produce splash.

Attachments

• 20230719_122342.jpg
    20230719_122342.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230719_121520.jpg
    20230719_121520.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 7
Yes indeed I cannot tell about the color. It seems many people are crossing colors and I don't know anything about the silver patterns. I used to have black, white, blue and splash with silkies. Right now I am starting again some silkies. I have white and black now. Looking to order a dozen eggs very soon and what they are saying is a mixture of black, white, blue, splash and paint. Hm, that oughta be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom