Silkie roo?

ImAussie

Chirping
Apr 15, 2021
Australia
My hubby found this little dude on the side of the road (presuming dumped, which immediately made me assume he was going to be a roo even before I saw him). Hubby just said he found a chicken, no idea what breed or hen/rooster and brought it home.

As soon as I saw him I knew it was a silkie, and looking at the comb and wattles I can’t imagine he could possibly be a hen. There’s no Spur development

F31637ED-008A-4B6E-A271-C8D9A85FB80B.jpeg

I am right aren’t I? And from what I’ve read, presuming that the comb and wattle development is at this point of being distinguishable, he’d have to be around 6 months old? Or maybe older? I haven’t heard him crow at all yet.
He’s very sweet, happy enough being picked up and held for a short time.
71B2B700-812D-46D6-A888-C11F96DB6E6B.jpeg

My hubby found this little dude on the side of the road (presuming dumped, which immediately made me assume he was going to be a roo even before I saw him). Hubby just said he found a chicken, no idea what breed or hen/rooster and brought it home.

As soon as I saw him I knew it was a silkie, and looking at the comb and wattles I can’t imagine he could possibly be a hen. There’s no Spur development

View attachment 2938135

I am right aren’t I? And from what I’ve read, presuming that the comb and wattle development is at this point of being distinguishable, he’d have to be around 6 months old? Or maybe older? I haven’t heard him crow at all yet.
He’s very sweet, happy enough being picked up and held for a short time.
View attachment 2938136
Looks like a young cockerel. Good of you to take him in. ❤️
Would be good to see a photo of him dry and also standing to get a better look at him.
Silkies, especially, are quite defenseless. He would not have survived long on his own.
Hopefully you are able to keep him, if not hopefully you can find him a good home.🙂

Looks like a young cockerel. Good of you to take him in. ❤️
Would be good to see a photo of him dry and also standing to get a better look at him.
Silkies, especially, are quite defenseless. He would not have survived long on his own.
Hopefully you are able to keep him, if not hopefully you can find him a good home.🙂
We can keep him, provided there’s no significant bullying. And worst case scenario we have a chicken lady at our monthly markets that takes in unwanted roosters if he really doesn’t fit in to our flock.
We’ve got 7 large hens, 2 small hens, 1 bantam roo, 7 chicks (6 regular size, 1 bantam). Our rooster isn’t aggressive or assertive and isn’t at all bothered by Barry, the hens will chase him off if he comes too close but don’t seek him out to pick on him. I’m just keeping an eye on the situation to make sure it’s only establishing his spot in the pecking order and not bullying.

Back
Top Bottom