Silkie with wry neck best vitamin solution?

Good morning Zachderky.
I can't think how many times I've said to myself 'it didn't look like that on the Utube video'.
Syring feeding isn't easy, particularly when there is just one of you.
I've used this in the past which I made froma syringe and the top of an ashesive bottle.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-better-to-let-them-die.1268732/page-2#post-20384977

Maybe the rest of the thread can give you some comfort.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-better-to-let-them-die.1268732/
The problem with some multivitimens is the iron and sugar content.
most pills and capsules can be crushed into powder and then added to a liquid and made to a viscosity that will go through a syringe.
You could try mixing the Gel from the wheat germ caps and crushed B vitamins into some yogurt and load that into a syringe.
Another possiblity is to attatche a flexible tube to the end of the syringe.

Good morning Zachderky.
I can't think how many times I've said to myself 'it didn't look like that on the Utube video'.
Syring feeding isn't easy, particularly when there is just one of you.
I've used this in the past which I made froma syringe and the top of an ashesive bottle.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-better-to-let-them-die.1268732/page-2#post-20384977

Maybe the rest of the thread can give you some comfort.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-better-to-let-them-die.1268732/
The problem with some multivitimens is the iron and sugar content.
most pills and capsules can be crushed into powder and then added to a liquid and made to a viscosity that will go through a syringe.
You could try mixing the Gel from the wheat germ caps and crushed B vitamins into some yogurt and load that into a syringe.
Another possiblity is to attatche a flexible tube to the end of the syringe.

Would pouring the liquid from the gel with nothing else added be fine? or maybe it's better to mix it with some water so it's easier to get all of the liquids, but I don't even know if that would be good or not, not really supposed to open up the capsule and do all this stuff.

Would pouring the liquid from the gel with nothing else added be fine? or maybe it's better to mix it with some water so it's easier to get all of the liquids, but I don't even know if that would be good or not, not really supposed to open up the capsule and do all this stuff.
Opening the wheat germ capsule is okay as is emptying the contents of any capsule.
Crushing pills is okay to.
Eventually there will come a point where your hen can't make a recovery because of a lack of nutrition. Liquids are okay for a short period of time but I've found after three or four days the chicken just isn't getting enough nutrients to have the strength to make a full recovery even with syringe feeding.

She comes outside each day and while she does move from place to place, in general there is not much movement inbetween, she just goes from one place to another and usually sits in one place for 30 mins or so before slowly making her way to another, for the wry neck itself I've noticed over the past days it seems less intense, as previously she would lose balance very easily and fall over, and/or her head would be upside down at times, while now and the past few days she instead is just moving from one place to another, slowly, not really doing much, I do notice she still has some problems with her head though, I can see the eyes close and go back open again frequently, meaning she's probably fighting it constantly..also her "aim" is a little bit off when she tries to peck food, which makes sense.
the only time I see the insane neck problems where she'll "fall asleep" and head upside down is when I pick her up, which I have to do to get the vitamins in her, for general drinking/eating I see her drink often enough, eating seems rare. I put the food box next to her multiple times today to see if she'd eat and it didn't really happen, when I pulled out the dried mealworms (they both always get so excited over that stuff, 53% crude potein 30% crude fat) she did immediately start eating them. could almost pour the vitamin e liquid on it and get her to consume it that way, lol, although the syringe hasn't been that hard to administer, main concern is making her so stressed with having to pick her up.

Overall not sure about the status currently, only supplying one vitamin E capsule daily, by making hole in capsule and trying to suck as much of the juice into a syringe as possible, never get 100% of the juice obviously, actual amount is probably somewhere at 70-80%, due to her rarely eating and not having any selenium intake (tried again today, other chicken actually touched it a bit and ate very little of it, but could probably have made her eat all of it, but chicken that actually needs to eat it doesn't touch it at all, and even by force I can't see this working) I'm scared of supplementing more vitamins, yesterday I was actually waiting for today to look out for any differences, but it has been mostly the same, thinking about opening up 2 pills at once tomorrow and supplementing that in one go, it will be more than one capsule but also won't be 2, since I'm losing some of the juice.

Back
Top Bottom