Local Feed analysis/ingredients thoughts

Rurumo

Songster
Feb 7, 2023
Hello Everyone!

I'm considering this local layer feed, any thoughts on the nutrient analysis or ingredients?

Crude Protein (min) 17.0 %
Lysine (min) 0.50 %
Methionine (min) 0.30 %
Crude Fat (min) 1.50 %
Crude Fiber (max) 4.60 %
Calcium (Ca) (min) 3.00 %
Calcium (Ca) (max) 3.60 %
Phosphorus (P) (min) 0.60 %
Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) (min) 0.38 %

Peas, Wheat, Barley, Linseed Meal, Calcium Carbonate, (Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ground Limestone, Salt, dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Mineral Oil, Ferrous Sulfate, Dehydrated Pichia pastoris Fermentation extract, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Niacin Supplement, Dried Trichoderma reesei Fermentation Product, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite)

It comes as mash/crumble/pellets and smells really fresh, and an added bonus is it's certified non-GMO and they post test results for glyphosate and a huge list of other residues, so I like the transparency. It's about $25 per 50 lb bag.

I'd love to hear if anything stands out that I should be looking for when choosing a feed!

Hello Everyone!

I'm considering this local layer feed, any thoughts on the nutrient analysis or ingredients?

Crude Protein (min) 17.0 %
Lysine (min) 0.50 %
Methionine (min) 0.30 %
Crude Fat (min) 1.50 %
Crude Fiber (max) 4.60 %
Calcium (Ca) (min) 3.00 %
Calcium (Ca) (max) 3.60 %
Phosphorus (P) (min) 0.60 %
Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) (min) 0.38 %

Peas, Wheat, Barley, Linseed Meal, Calcium Carbonate, (Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ground Limestone, Salt, dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Mineral Oil, Ferrous Sulfate, Dehydrated Pichia pastoris Fermentation extract, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Niacin Supplement, Dried Trichoderma reesei Fermentation Product, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite)

It comes as mash/crumble/pellets and smells really fresh, and an added bonus is it's certified non-GMO and they post test results for glyphosate and a huge list of other residues, so I like the transparency. It's about $25 per 50 lb bag.

I'd love to hear if anything stands out that I should be looking for when choosing a feed!
Seems like it should have higher protein for laying hens

Ok, what should it have more/less of to be considered better than minimum requirements?
Depends on the make-up of the flock, intended use, and management. I could say "it meets the minimums" because that's clearly a layer formulation, and adult production layers have the lowest nutritional needs (apart from calcium) of any of the studied ages/uses of bird.

There's no "one source", unfortunately. Just as there's no one breed. For an old school overview of just the amino acid needs, I'll offer this link. There's still (some) debate on fat levels, you'd have to read the studies and a lot of disregard for fiber (which is to say its not well studied, and much less critical than some of the other factors. If you really want to get into the reads, where I find enjoyable reading, check out this metastudy of layers. For more general overviews, check this out from India - their data is largely sourced and accumulated from some of our older data that I've had hard time finding access to in original format (jump to p 15 if you just want numbers). Less specific, but local to the US, you can check out your local ag extension office for a link like this.

Then we can talk about Calcium : Phosphorus ratios, effects of differing calcium types on toxicity, and a host of other things - again, more studies. I'm looked at on BYC as something of a local expert, but I'm not - I just know where to look and most of the common keywords. and yeah, I've read a few things.

Back
Top Bottom