Looking for Nutrition help

Sqwizgaar

Hatching
Jan 27, 2024
Long story short, my husband hauls pig feed for work and was recently in an accident (he's totally okay thankfully) but it meant all the feed had spilled. We were able to salvage a huge portion of it and was wondering if it would be an option as a treat or even as a full diet for our Chickens. I would love to get some feedback on it, what I might need to supplement, is there anything in the analysis that would make it bad for them etc.

I do currently supplement with limestone grit and oyster shells free choice.

I also have goats, horses and cattle so if anyone happens to know if it would be good for them that would be helpful but a bonus for sure. I'm mostly curious about it as an option for the chickens though!

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min): 15.4%
Crude Fat (min): 2%
Crude Fiber (max): 3.5%
Sodium (act): 0.2%
Calcium (act): 1%
Phosphorus (act):0.7%
Zinc (act): 175 mg/kg
Copper (act): 21.5 mg/Kg
Vitamin A (min): 10,000 I.U./Kg
Vitamin D (min): 1500 I.U./Kg
Vitamin E (min): 56.5 I.U./Kg
Added Selenium at 0.3mg/kg

The proteins are made up of Wheat, Wheat middling's, and Peas

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it!

The protein is pretty low. That doesn't mean it is unusable, just that it would be best to give them some high protein feed too. The zinc is quite a bit different than chicken usually get but I don't know if it matters - it may be a different kind of zinc, for one thing.

Peas might be more of a problem for chickens than for pigs, chickens can eat peas but best in quite a small proportion of the feed.

The wheat could be a problem for cattle - they can eat it but large amounts can cause digestion system problems. Maybe also for goats because they are ruminants also. Gradually introducing it and feeding long stem hay along side it will help.

I don't know if there is anything else iffy about for any of your animals. In general... how much of the feed there is and how many animals you want to feed it to matters.

Back
Top Bottom