Can I feed my hens cat treats/food?

balkflock

Chirping
Feb 2, 2023
East Texas
My cat doesn’t like the cat treats I bought, so can I feed it to my hens? I was wondering this because I’ve heard that cat food is a great add-on to your chicken feed, but I just want to be safe. It doesn’t have any poultry, artificial flavors, or preservatives.

Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Brown Rice, Tuna Meal, Barley, Pork Fat, Tapioca Starch, Oatmeal, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavor, Deboned Cod, Shrimp, Peas, Canola Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Whey, Lecithin, Glucono-Delta-Lactone, Potassium Chloride, preserved with Citric Acid and Mixed Tocopherols, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Dried Cultured Whey, Oil of Rosemary.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 21.0% (min.), Crude Fat: 17.5% (min.), Crude Fiber: 2.5% (max.), Moisture: 10.0% (max.).

I think it should be fine. It looks like a good source of protein, but higher in fat than is usually recommended for chickens.

I would only give small amounts at a time, for two reasons:
--that's a generally good idea with any treat
--some people say that large amounts of fish can have an effect on the flavor of eggs

I have no personal experience with fishy-tasting eggs. If you had large amounts of fishy stuff, it might be worth testing how much gives what effect. But if you just want to use up the treats you have, then feeding small amounts is the easiest way to avoid the issue withough having to think about it much. Some people give tuna or sardines to their chickens without noticing off-flavored eggs, so a small amount of fish is clearly fine.

(I see this is old, sorry to be late to the party)

I wonder about salt levels and other things bad for kidneys. Hens are sensitive to salt :(
I don't see any salt listed as an ingredient, so the only salt would be what the salmon and other things have naturally. I wouldn't expect that to be high enough to cause trouble, if the chickens are eating it in moderate amounts.

It would be nice if the guaranteed analysis listed salt, but it doesn't, so we're stuck with guesswork. Chickens do need some salt (not too much, but not too little either.)

I also heard that about cat food. Something about extra protein. But, I honestly don't know. Curious to see what others might say.
Cat food usually has more protein than chicken food. The protein is also more likely to come from meat or fish rather than from plants, which means it naturally has a balance of amino acids that is harder to manage in plant-based foods. (Meaning, it's not just protein, it's good protein, at least for cats & chickens.)

So yes, people sometimes recommend it as a protein supplement, especially when chickens are molting, or for breeding stock, or any other time that more protein seems like a good idea. In small amounts, it should do no harm, and may sometimes be helpful.

(I see this is old, sorry to be late to the party)

I wonder about salt levels and other things bad for kidneys. Hens are sensitive to salt :(
petfood generally does not have any salt in it.
Because it is bad for mammals that don't sweat.

I think 'treat' is the operative word.
A handful here and there won't hurt. Although I had to say, even chickens can be picky.
I thought I'd do them something good, feeding them the last cup or so of the dry food the fur pets turned their noses up on.
The kibble lasted 2 days in their run.

Depending on how many chickens you have, and how much of the treats.
I'd say go for it. (but I am a noob so take my thoughts with a truckful of salt)

petfood generally does not have any salt in it.
Because it is bad for mammals that don't sweat.

Dogs and cats do need some amount of salt in their diet.
Just like chickens and people, they suffer if they have too much or too little.

When I read labels on dog food or cat food, I usually find "salt" listed as an ingredient.

So I cannot be sure about every brand and every formulation, but I would say that pet food "generally" does contain salt. (I have read more dog food labels than cat food ones, and obviously the cat treats in this particular thread did not have salt as an ingredient, so I am more sure about salt in dog food than in cat food.)

Back
Top Bottom