Silkies and Cochin Bantams - Indiana, Michigan, Ohio

myshelldiamond

In the Brooder
May 27, 2023
Hello! My hubby and I are just starting out chicken and duck hobby farm. We have everything we need but the chicks and ducklings now. We are hoping to find Silkies and Cochin Bantams. We are located in Northeast Indiana but are willing to drive to Michigan or Ohio as well. Does anyone have any hatchery/breeder recommendations they could provide for us? Thank you in advance!

Hi I live too far away but just wondering do you want chicks or chickens if you want chicks you could probably order some from a hatchery I’m not sure which because I’ve never ordered from one before I did get four silkies from tractor supply they are super sweet one night they couldn’t settle down because I had forgotten to cuddle with them!

Thank you! I have tried all of the TSC and Rural Kings in our area and can't find these breeds. We are looking for chicks preferrably. I will keep checking out local stores every few days though. Lol!
Hi I live too far away but just wondering do you want chicks or chickens if you want chicks you could probably order some from a hatchery I’m not sure which because I’ve never ordered from one before I did get four silkies from tractor supply they are super sweet one night they couldn’t settle down because I had forgotten to cuddle with them!

Thank you! I have tried all of the TSC and Rural Kings in our area and can't find these breeds. We are looking for chicks preferrably. I will keep checking out local stores every few days though. Lol!
Yeah it took awhile for the silkies to come in! Hope you get some let us know when you do! (I would love pictures chicks are so cute)

Meyer hatchery offers extra random chicks in bins in their store for a fraction of usual cost. They usually separate out bantams from regular chickens. Call or online chat with them to find out when these chicks first go in the bins each week. Can’t remember their hatch/ship day but the bins get filled the morning after I think.

We’ve picked out of their bins 2x. We’ve been happy with nice surprises each time. But we’ve only picked out regular chickens. Their staff will not ID the chicks for you. But, they will give you a catalogue which you can use for ID (it contains chick pics), or you can use their online chick ID tool in your phone (again, it is chick pics), but be aware your cell service could be fine or terrible/slow - mine is very slow at their location.

There is also Mr Healthy hatchery in Cincinnati. Not sure what they carry (bantams? Ducks?) so look on their website. I’ll guess they also offer mystery chicks too after hatch day.

Hello! My hubby and I are just starting out chicken and duck hobby farm. We have everything we need but the chicks and ducklings now. We are hoping to find Silkies and Cochin Bantams. We are located in Northeast Indiana but are willing to drive to Michigan or Ohio as well. Does anyone have any hatchery/breeder recommendations they could provide for us? Thank you in advance!
Did you ever find any? Have you tried craigslist?

Hi. I have 3 Cochin bantam hens and am considering introducing 2 Silkies to the flock. Just wondering if you ended up with a mixed flock of Cochins and Silkies and how they get along. Any recommendations on integration of Silkies?

Back
Top Bottom