Sloth’s Silkies

How are the chicks!?!
Thanks for asking! Unfortunately I lost one of the chicks - the white silkied EE. It was such a sweetie, I was so sad. However I talked to the breeder and she is sending more eggs! And I made one last order of silkie eggs to go into the incubator with them… THEN I will be done hatching for the season 😂.

In the meantime I had 3 beautiful babies hatch from the Akers farm blue eggs. They all likely have the same mom but could possibly have different dads as there are multiple Roos in the pen. They are from a “silver laced satin” pen! Also I believe the mom is a frizzle. All three have different coloring and markings. The last one to hatch I had to help out a tiny bit as it was a little bit sticky, and it has the funniest black “unibrow” and eyeliner. Too cute.

I also still have 3 eggs in the incubator right now! Two eggs from Norsk farm that are lavender bantam ameraucana, and 1 lavender silkie that has somehow survived, despite me realizing halfway through incubation that there was a hairline crack in the shell 🤦‍♀️ I put wax on it, but I’m not sure if it was too late or not. They are due to hatch on the 11th.

Attachments

• IMG_7907.jpeg
    IMG_7907.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7905.jpeg
    IMG_7905.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7910.jpeg
    IMG_7910.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7909.jpeg
    IMG_7909.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7916.jpeg
    IMG_7916.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7913.jpeg
    IMG_7913.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for asking! Unfortunately I lost one of the chicks - the white silkied EE. It was such a sweetie, I was so sad. However I talked to the breeder and she is sending more eggs! And I made one last order of silkie eggs to go into the incubator with them… THEN I will be done hatching for the season 😂.

In the meantime I had 3 beautiful babies hatch from the Akers farm blue eggs. They all likely have the same mom but could possibly have different dads as there are multiple Roos in the pen. They are from a “silver laced satin” pen! Also I believe the mom is a frizzle. All three have different coloring and markings. The last one to hatch I had to help out a tiny bit as it was a little bit sticky, and it has the funniest black “unibrow” and eyeliner. Too cute.

I also still have 3 eggs in the incubator right now! Two eggs from Norsk farm that are lavender bantam ameraucana, and 1 lavender silkie that has somehow survived, despite me realizing halfway through incubation that there was a hairline crack in the shell 🤦‍♀️ I put wax on it, but I’m not sure if it was too late or not. They are due to hatch on the 11th.
Look at that unibrow! Lol, adorable!

I'm sorry you had a loss, it seems the hatches of shipped eggs are really having a rough time this year. That's great you are getting more eggs though. ☺️

Look at that unibrow! Lol, adorable!

I'm sorry you had a loss, it seems the hatches of shipped eggs are really having a rough time this year. That's great you are getting more eggs though. ☺️
They really are having a rough time this year!!! I candled tonight and to me it looks like the lav silkie egg is quitting (I figured it would) but the veins were pulsing still so I haven’t completely given up on it. The bantam ameraucanas look good - well as good as they can lol they are kind of hard to see into!

They are so cute! I hope your other eggs hatch! Just wondering do the eggs have a better chance if you got them from your own chickens? Or is hatching eggs just hard in general?
Oh they would definitely have a wayyyy better chance at hatching if from your own chickens. Most of the issues with the eggs I’ve had came from being handled roughly in the mail. Many of the eggs had completely detached and watery looking air sacs (almost every single lavender silkie egg, in both batches was like that, which is why out of 20 eggs that I was shipped only one is still in the incubator, and it looks like it’s fading.) Now if these were from
My own chickens I would expect most if not all of them to develop just fine because they didn’t go through the shipping process! I don’t have a rooster so I can’t try it out right now 😂 But yes shipping is brutal on eggs!

Oh they would definitely have a wayyyy better chance at hatching if from your own chickens. Most of the issues with the eggs I’ve had came from being handled roughly in the mail. Many of the eggs had completely detached and watery looking air sacs (almost every single lavender silkie egg, in both batches was like that, which is why out of 20 eggs that I was shipped only one is still in the incubator, and it looks like it’s fading.) Now if these were from
My own chickens I would expect most if not all of them to develop just fine because they didn’t go through the shipping process! I don’t have a rooster so I can’t try it out right now 😂 But yes shipping is brutal on eggs!
Good to know! 😊

Back
Top Bottom