Silkies Breeding Issue...

tamour

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2015
Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Hey everyone, hope everybody is fine out there. Guys! I am facing some problem while trying to breed my silkies.

So the thing is that I got 4 beautiful 5 weeks old silkie chicks at the end of January this year. My nephew named them according to his favourite disney characters; Simba (M), Nala (F), SnowWhite (F) and Bari (F, means the big lady).

Simba and Nala started successfully mating in June, when they were about 6 months old. I had read somwhere that fluffy-butts of silkie can cause a problem while mating so I trimmed some vent feathers to boost their chances. They were mating successfully and properly and Nala laid her first egg in first week of July. I collected first 10 eggs of Nala and gave them to my friend who incubated them under a broody asil hen. But unfortunately none of them hatched. Candling on day 7, 10 and 15 showed that the eggs were infertile, they were absolutely clear. Nala laid another 7 eggs before going broody which she incubated herself and all of them were also infertile (Checked on 15th August, day 18 of incubation).

Bari and Simba started successfully mating at the end of July, she laid firstly at the start of August. I collected 8 eggs of her and gave to another friend of mine who put them in an incubator but today at day 7, candling showed that they are also infertile.

I have no clue what is going wrong. Birds are mating successfully, all are healthy and well fed and are mating perfectly (that cloaca kiss). Want an opinion about what the issue maybe and any advice in this regard.

One thing I want to mention is that Simba is half-brother to Nala and SnowWhite. Bari is unrelated to all three of them.

Pic of them is attached:

Eight months old? I'd wait a while. Eight months old is debatable as to being old enough to be fertile. Just because they are mating does not necessarily mean they are not shooting blanks. Give it some time. Each breed matures at a different rate. My seramas are producing fertile eggs at the age of 3-4 months. My silkies that are the same exact age are very much teenage chickens that are no where near producing eggs. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom