Silkies, Cochins, and Brahmas (bantams)?

Which Breed?

• Total voters

jwebb418

Songster
8 Years
Oct 20, 2015
Portland, OR
My Coop
My Coop
Looking for a great lap chicken breed that will do well being manhandled by an almost 6 year old and an 8mo (older when we finally get them in spring). Want them to be super snuggly and willing to visit us inside sometimes (especially in bad weather), and love being spoiled rotten. We already have one Buff Orpington, one Lavender Orpington, one Blue Orpington and one Columbian Wyandotte. Only the Buff likes to hang out with us (but isn't snuggly or a lap chicken), the others just avoid us. Will probably order from MPC since they're the only ones that attempt to sex Silkie chicks but if we're not getting Silkies then ChickensForBackyards are a second option. *EDIT* These would all be hens since I live in the city (PDX). If they ever invent a quiet roo I would buy it in heartbeat no matter the cost!

Last edited:
Looking for a great lap chicken breed that will do well being manhandled by an almost 6 year old and an 8mo (older when we finally get them in spring). Want them to be super snuggly and willing to visit us inside sometimes (especially in bad weather), and love being spoiled rotten. We already have one Buff Orpington, one Lavender Orpington, one Blue Orpington and one Columbian Wyandotte. Only the Buff likes to hang out with us (but isn't snuggly or a lap chicken), the others just avoid us. Will probably order from MPC since they're the only ones that attempt to sex Silkie chicks but if we're not getting Silkies then ChickensForBackyards are a second option.

For kids I would definitely recommmend brahmas. I have a light Brahma roo and two buff Brahma hens. The hens are my younger sister’s favourites and she goes out whenever she gets home from school to manhandle them. They just sit there and take it. The roo is the funniest thing ever and he’s always happy to see me. He also doesn’t mind being manhandled. He once caught a cold and I had to stick a dropper down his throat every other day with his medicine in it and he never tried to fight me about it. If you’re looking into Roos I would 100% suggest a Brahma.
If you ever find yourself interested in breeds that are a bit bigger, and better layers I would suggest Australorps or Ameraucanas

It all depends on the chicken but I have silkies and Easter Eggers and the ees are more friendly. My silkie rooster is super mean and will attack any stranger that gets near his girls. My favorite EE Paisly on the other hand flys up and sits on my shoulder while I do stuff. Just work with whichever breed you get and they’ll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom