Silkies......genders?

mcleveland

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
Northeast Georgia
Hi All....
This is my first time raising Silkies (OMGosh! I love them!!) They are 15 weeks old, and I am having a hard time deciphering their gender(s). I'm sure there are some Silkie-experts here, would you mind taking a look-see? If you need more pics, let me know!

Thanks in Advance!!

FYI: Same bird (Left to Right) in each pic.

Silkies are one of the hardest breeds to sex. But as of now, I don't see anything screaming rooster.

Thank you so much! Although, I am holding out for at least one rooster
fl.gif

That bearded black bird might end up being your boy. I don't raise non-beardeds, but I know large combs and wattles are normal for them. Bearding suppresses combs and wattles, so they should be small, even on the boys. With mine, males usually start out with wide combs and pullets are narrow. It doesn't always work out that way, but I pretty much always assume that my chicks with wider combs are boys (and they usually are). If they turn out to be girls, then I just count it as a happy surprise, but that normally doesn't happen.

That bearded black bird might end up being your boy. I don't raise non-beardeds, but I know large combs and wattles are normal for them. Bearding suppresses combs and wattles, so they should be small, even on the boys. With mine, males usually start out with wide combs and pullets are narrow. It doesn't always work out that way, but I pretty much always assume that my chicks with wider combs are boys (and they usually are). If they turn out to be girls, then I just count it as a happy surprise, but that normally doesn't happen.
Oh I hope so!
clap.gif
That one, my daughter claimed when we got them as day old chicks. She's since named "him" Arnold. Ha! So, fingers crossed that's our boy! Thank you!!

They all look like pullets to me (for now), except possibly the black one.

They all look like pullets to me (for now), except possibly the black one.

I am getting good at this because I thought the black one looked suspicious too!
yesss.gif
lau.gif

My daughter's 13th birthday is next Wednesday. And boy, oh boy she is SOOOOOOO hoping her black silkie is a guy!!! She says that would be an awesome bd gift
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom