Silkies Of A Different Color

Alrighty guys..I was sent here in the hopes that you could help me figure out what color chicks I've been getting..I'll save the super long story, but hen is a black and dad is a silver gened paint.

This is 2 different chicks hatched from the same set of parents..

How exciting! Looks like maybe a light blue except for that darker head spot. I guess its a wait and see situation. Blues feathers generally start coming in somewhat darker than the baby fuzz.

Those head spots are what's throwing me. Well that and how a blue (or splash, that was mentioned on another post) would come from the parents .. one is a true black and dad is paint from a paint x paint pairing.. both do carry silver tho..
Starting to wonder if the hens mom was sneaking around on supposed to be dad. .I bought her so can't known for sure..buy only other birds on the property were whites ???

ETA: I am definitely not sending anymore of her eggs off this farm..lol.. I don't know what they are, but 2 have hatched from about 30 eggs set..still have last few eggs from before she went broody in the incubator. . Gave her eggs that were days from hatching to hatch so 3 weeks into going broody, she's got 4 week and a half old chicks under her instead of having to wait 3 weeks on eggs to hatch and another month or so for her to raise them..

Thanks for the reply tho.. at least I'm not the only one that doesn't think it's a 'normal' chick..lol

Last edited:
I've never had a chick like that. She's very unique and pretty. What were the parents?

Thanks. Not entirely sure whom she came from, either a black or bluish hen were the pictures that I saw. Don't know about her father. I guess it'll be interesting to see what she turns out like.

From feathersite, this is salmon:

Note the large amount of black on the birds. You could work TOWARDS salmon, but they really aren't at this point, either in appearance or likely in geneset they carry.

I have a bantam roo who looks just like this one, same colour and comb shape he has that beard as well, only his tail is like a chochin. What breed is this roo in your picture?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom