Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
Thank you. Was hoping for silver but I’m happy either way. Love the partridge in your profile pic! The lacing is stunning😍

Thanks. She's half cochin. Wasn't a purposely bred bird. Her father would have had to be 9 weeks when her egg was laid. He was very precocious. He was supposed to be a silkie egg

Hello silkie lovers! I have questions about color I'm hoping you can help with.
Blue cream vs blue partridge:
I'm assuming blue cream is buff with lavender and blue partridge is partridge with andalusian blue, correct? I mix them up a lot in pictures because some blue creams are darker than I expect, and some partridges are lighter than I expect. Do some breeders use red for their blue creams and lavender for their blue partridges? It's the only thing I can think of besides other people mixing up the colors as well, unless that much variation in color is normal for the two.
I know partridge can be pretty variable on its own just from melanisers.
Usually I can tell the two types of blues apart but these have me doubting! 😖

Hello silkie lovers! I have questions about color I'm hoping you can help with.
Blue cream vs blue partridge:
I'm assuming blue cream is buff with lavender and blue partridge is partridge with andalusian blue, correct? I mix them up a lot in pictures because some blue creams are darker than I expect, and some partridges are lighter than I expect. Do some breeders use red for their blue creams and lavender for their blue partridges? It's the only thing I can think of besides other people mixing up the colors as well, unless that much variation in color is normal for the two.
I know partridge can be pretty variable on its own just from melanisers.
Usually I can tell the two types of blues apart but these have me doubting! 😖

I'm going to explain as if you are new to it so that anyone who reads this will understand. Nothing directed at you personally, just trying to clarify

You are correct that blue cream is lavender over buff. Lavender effects black and red.

Blue partridge is the Andalusian blue over partridge. Blue only effects black.

There are darker and lighter partridge. I've seen plenty of darker and lighter blue cream out of the same breeding as well.

People think because lavender (also known as self blue) is grey it's the same as the Andalusian blue. If you put them side by side they look like very different greys.

Lavender is recessive and takes two copies to express. That's where you get people saying that a bird is split for lavender. That means that it's from a known lavender to something else and is known to carry 1 copy of lavender but you can't see it.

Andalusian blue is incomplete dominant and takes 1 copy to get blue and 2 gives you splash.

This is what lavender over partridge looks like. Very similar to blue cream, but they look different if standing next to each other.

hawthorn_perch_by_seerisil_db63m2n-fullview.jpg
summer_queen_by_seerisil_dbh2eyd-fullview.jpg

This one is a blue cream
christmas_2021_by_seerisil_dev9qx6-pre.jpg

They can deal with more chicks than eggs.

I don't know what type of set up you have for the broody. If it's enclosed and no outside weather gets in, I'd give them all to her and watch.

I accidentally gave 13 chicks to a first time pullet last year. She did wonderfully and it wasn't until I'd picked her up to remove something from her foot that I saw the leg band and found I'd grabbed the wrong hen. They were a bit rough from spring molting so it was easy to mistake them. She stuck to the nest after being moved and the other didn't. I always prefer to have them raise in pairs if I can.

So if it was me I'd keep watch. I have a separate coop I like to use sometimes for the broodies. Especially first timers. Those who stay with the flock do even better as all the adults let the chicks sleep under them. Usually my roosters will park themselves next to the mama just for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom