Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Well, my wife ended up finding a local hatchery yesterday and they had some chicks. Their chicks looked much better than the local farm supply stores chicks. Chicken math took over and she came home with more chicks than planned and two are silkies. A Blue Silkie and a White Silkie plus five other breeds...

Not the best picture but picture nonetheless. I also didn't know silkies had 5 toes until last night. The blue silkie is sleeping in the corner and the white is the scraggly one in the middle of the other chicks.

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpg
    IMG_3643.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 9
Anyone know a breeder of buff, blue, gray and lavender silkies that is closer to Texas than Main. I'm looking for hatching eggs. I'm OK with assorted colors if they are the colors mentioned above. Not really looking for mixes between colors yet.... unless they are blue/red, blue/gold, blue/silver, lavender/gold, lavender/red or lavender/silver.

Of the blue creams I got in from Maine 13 of 14 eggs made it and it looks as if only 4 of them are developing. 😔

Maybe this isn't the right place for this post but I need a little advice on Silkies. We are getting some chicks soon and my wife really wants a couple of silkies. I am a little concerned about silkies mixed with some bigger birds and maybe the differences in care/housing, etc. We live in an area that allows chickens but roosters are a no go due to the noise. I am worried we will end up with roos and have that issue to deal with.

What other concerns do I need to be aware of with having a couple of silkies mixed with something like Easter Eggers, or Sex Links? We will most likely be starting with 6-7 chickens and see how that goes, 2 of which would be silkies.
Roos CAN get along with other Roos Silkys or silky mixes it depends on a lot of characteristics they are docile …….usually sexing takes longer …. Some after a year ! Be careful with females being with other breads of roosters ! It’s better to have a silky roo with EE or other type of hens for sure……. Smaller and not as aggressive with mating

Anyone know a breeder of buff, blue, gray and lavender silkies that is closer to Texas than Main. I'm looking for hatching eggs. I'm OK with assorted colors if they are the colors mentioned above. Not really looking for mixes between colors yet.... unless they are blue/red, blue/gold, blue/silver, lavender/gold, lavender/red or lavender/silver.

Of the blue creams I got in from Maine 13 of 14 eggs made it and it looks as if only 4 of them are developing. 😔
Found some in Ohio that I bought on eBay. They are a mixed batch of eggs from pure color pens with no chance of frizzle or nn. They also had colors I was looking for so that's a plus.

I have three more bids going on for blue columbian brahma, Crevecoeur and silver laced polish. None over $20 right now.

Oof! This most recent hatch continues to try me.

I already had 2 splay leg, 2 early deaths, and now I have the beginnings of wry neck. I’ve never had so many issues with one hatch before. I’m exhausted from it 😴

sorry to hear that.

my last years' first hatch was 10 silkies. 2 killed by the wyandotte broody, 7 died from 1 wo to 3 mo, 1 cockerel with pea comb survived. sold him as ornamental bird.

sorry to hear that.

my last years' first hatch was 10 silkies. 2 killed by the wyandotte broody, 7 died from 1 wo to 3 mo, 1 cockerel with pea comb survived. sold him as ornamental bird.
Oh that would be disheartening. Sorry to hear that! Hopefully later hatches were better.

I have the little wry neck in the house now so I can keep an eye on it and give vitamins. If it recovers, I have a feeling it’ll end up being a little cockerel because I’m going to get so attached lol.

Back
Top Bottom