Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I do like your livestock!
Here's a couple of my boys next to a 5 gallon bucket.
0530191453.jpg
0930191500.jpg

Ok well mine are all what I would call bantams. Males around one kilo, females about 800 grams. This is news to me that there is more than a single weight class to them, but then again if you cross them with other chicken you get different results. My flock is crossed with Cochin Bantams, so I can't speak I do not posses pure silkies.

@Texas Kiki do you mind phoning a friend on the SOP for me? I was 100% certain they have only one size classification.

I would challenge you to look up the SOP though. Mine have horrible combs, most fail on feathering.

I've heard they must be bantams to be able to meet the US standard and be shown. In the UK I think they have bantams and standard and both are able to be shown? I could be completely wrong though. :confused:

I've heard they must be bantams to be able to meet the US standard and be shown. In the UK I think they have bantams and standard and both are able to be shown? I could be completely wrong though. :confused:
Standards are sold in the U.S.
My black Silkie Cockerel I got from a SQ Silkie breeder is medium sized, not bantam sized.

Here's a couple of my boys next to a 5 gallon bucket.View attachment 1946092 View attachment 1946094
I must admit he has such a lovely walnut comb. I am envious. Just to my knowledge they are basically the only true bantam breed out there.

I have been wrong so many times in life just ask my wife. Regardless, our enjoyment of our half breed chicken doesn't come from meeting some standard. We do not show them just I am a little off and judge my chicken based on the standard I learned. It changes over time and based on chicken personalities for me.

Has anyone had experience with FrizzleXFrizzle making Frazzles? I was fortunate not having any Frizzle roosters but I have several hens of this type.

I haven't bred but I have researched quite a bit as I used to have a frizzle bantam cochin hen and wanted to know more about the gene. It's my understanding that the frizzle gene is dominant and if you bred two frizzled chickens together you would get 25% smooth feathered, 50% frizzled, and 25% frazzled. As long as you only breed the smooth feathered rooster to the frizzle girls you should be good and get 50% frizzle and 50% smooth feathered babies with no risk of getting any frazzle offspring. :)

I haven't bred but I have researched quite a bit as I used to have a frizzle bantam cochin hen and wanted to know more about the gene. It's my understanding that the frizzle gene is dominant and if you bred two frizzled chickens together you would get 25% smooth feathered, 50% frizzled, and 25% frazzled. As long as you only breed the smooth feathered rooster to the frizzle girls you should be good and get 50% frizzle and 50% smooth feathered babies with no risk of getting any frazzle offspring. :)
That was my research as well with frizzleXfrizzle, and that the Frazzles have a high chance of mortality.

I must admit he has such a lovely walnut comb. I am envious. Just to my knowledge they are basically the only true bantam breed out there.

I have been wrong so many times in life just ask my wife. Regardless, our enjoyment of our half breed chicken doesn't come from meeting some standard. We do not show them just I am a little off and judge my chicken based on the standard I learned. It changes over time and based on chicken personalities for me.
Silkies were actually standard sized birds originating in China, but were being bred down to bantam size in the U.S. in most places. You can still get standards from family owned hatcheries. Most of my Silkies are old style original Chinese White Silkie Bloodline.

Back
Top Bottom