Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Thank you! I checked the base of his down feathers and found they were a light blue-gray. Thanks for everyone's help.

If I had a brood (of full siblings), then breeded each chick with a different chicken, and did that for a lot of generations, how many generations should I do before breeding the offspring together? Just another random question.

Beautiful roo! I have no idea what color he is but he is very handsome. Welcome to BYC!

Thank you for this. He is a very loving Roo, he crows at the door to be let in and also pushes himself through the cat flap for cuddles!

I'll try to get pictures of mine, depending on what the temperature is today.

I'll look forward to seeing them!

Thank you! I checked the base of his down feathers and found they were a light blue-gray. Thanks for everyone's help.

If I had a brood (of full siblings), then breeded each chick with a different chicken, and did that for a lot of generations, how many generations should I do before breeding the offspring together? Just another random question.

Beautiful roo! I have no idea what color he is but he is very handsome. Welcome to BYC!

I've never done that myself so I wouldn't like to say for certain but if they all have at least one different birds genes you could probably breed the first generation without issues. Generally speaking, people can do full sibling breedings and get lovely chicks but there's a higher chance of getting traits you don't like showing up and some genetic issues. That doesn't mean you always will though.

When first starting out, I'd try to get as much genetic diversity as you can from different lines and work on creating your own from that :)

Tiramisu is absolutely stunning! :love

Thankyou very much! :D

Two growouts, the one at the back is the chick I posted a week or so ago, the other chick hatched a few days ago.

Knew you guys would need some chick pics...

IMG_1484.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

I'll look forward to seeing them!

I've never done that myself so I wouldn't like to say for certain but if they all have at least one different birds genes you could probably breed the first generation without issues. Generally speaking, people can do full sibling breedings and get lovely chicks but there's a higher chance of getting traits you don't like showing up and some genetic issues. That doesn't mean you always will though.

When first starting out, I'd try to get as much genetic diversity as you can from different lines and work on creating your own from that :)

Thankyou very much! :D
Ran low on time, but will have more time tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom