Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Yay! Fingers crossed they arrive well and safe :thumbsup
LadiesAndJane do you already know when your lavenders will be shipped?
Breeder is waiting for the permits. Hopefully I will get them later this week. She is sending me 6 of the lavender plus a few extras for all my troubles of "surprise" colors.😊
Did you candle your eggs over the week-end? How are they doing?

Awesome! That would be great if they arrive soon! Wow that's nice of the breeder to send extra surprises 👍
Thank you for asking about my eggs - didn't candle since the first time (on day 7), today is day 10 and I plan to candle on day 14, so just sitting on my hands 😂
...Started to talk to them when I open the incubator to fill in new water, but I guess that's a little early 😅 (but I read they do have ears by now🤣)

I am planning to sell hatching eggs as soon as I can make sure the fertility is good. I think $5 is too little for a dozen eggs, when you can get $5 for a chick. I think $5 is way too little for the chicks too, though.
It all depends on your market area though as well. Are there other breeders in your area selling hatching eggs? How much are they asking for them?
I just started selling my chicks for $15 each, straight run. I have a wait list. There is only one other breeder on the Island who sells silkies of similar quality and he also asks $15. Many here selling hatchery quality for $8-10 each. I have not decided on a price yet for hatching eggs, still trying to come up with a number that people will pay here, but not too little either.
I would think you could get at least $30 a dozen for hatching eggs. I often pay $8 EACH for eggs, if they are the color, breed or other attributes I am looking for. 😊
WOW I gave 24 hatching eggs away for free. I did give them to the channel White House On The Hill though...

Awesome! That would be great if they arrive soon! Wow that's nice of the breeder to send extra surprises 👍
Thank you for asking about my eggs - didn't candle since the first time (on day 7), today is day 10 and I plan to candle on day 14, so just sitting on my hands 😂
...Started to talk to them when I open the incubator to fill in new water, but I guess that's a little early 😅 (but I read they do have ears by now🤣)
I talk to my eggs when I candle. Standing in a dark closet with the candler and an egg, saying "hello little sweetie, how are you doing in there". No wonder my family thinks I have lost it!🤣

TJAnonymous how is your little one with the eye issue doing? Did the gel help her eye?

Still yucky... I went this weekend to TSC to get some Terramycin since it is still on backorder at the feed store. I've used it twice now. Eye is improving but still not normal. There's like a hard brown blob under the eye. Not sure what it is but it hurts the chick to rub on it. I thought it was dried eye goo but it isn't.

On a side note, I brought everyone outside this afternoon for a supervised introduction to the outdoors. They are having a ball.... 😂

20210323_162543.jpg

Exciting! My second set of 13 are on day 3 today. 😊 Nothing hatched from the first set. How are the little ones doing from your own eggs?
Awe! How exciting! Well, I can't remember which set I left off on! LOL So far this year I have hatched 11 silkies and 9 survived and are already at their new homes. Then I have 15 in the incubators at the moment and 3 are on lockdown in one incubator and then the other 12 are on lockdown here in a couple days! LOL I'm all over the place with hatching right now.

Back
Top Bottom