Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Only 3 eggs left out of 12 under Puff 😢 all others not fertile, just yolkers. Seems like alot of work for just 3 possible ones - if they all hatch! ..And probably end up being roosters!! 😂
Hopefully the next broody will have all fertile eggs since things should settle down with Biscuit.
I hope eventually you can get some fertile ones!
Biscuit is so good! He doesn't crow at night and only will start up his few minutes of crowing when I go up to the coop, Not early at sunrise! He's like the perfect rooster to keep the neighbours happy with undisturbed sleep 😴 😂
Now he just has to win the ladies over and give me more fertile eggs! 🐣
That's how mine are right now... I hope they stay they way :fl

Biscuit is so good! He doesn't crow at night and only will start up his few minutes of crowing when I go up to the coop, Not early at sunrise! He's like the perfect rooster to keep the neighbours happy with undisturbed sleep 😴 😂
Now he just has to win the ladies over and give me more fertile eggs! 🐣

So far, this is how my guy is doing. He is 4.5 months and may change once the other cockerels age up. 🤷‍♀️

I did find out he managed to fertilize the first eggs my big (non-silkie) girls laid. 😳 Seriously shocked. They are only all together for a few minutes every week or so and I never suspsected anything. He is usually running into the corner from the barred rock bullies. 🤣 🙄

FluffyLambs, your photoshoots with your silkies inspired me today. It's been so hard getting pictures of my 3 to turn out. They are always running around and most photo's turn out to be fuzzy black blobs. Today I placed them in the mimosa tree and got the best pictures ever with them. Lil Bit and Poppy thought I'd lost my mind though and were sorta uncooperative, but Branch was a little ham and stayed put. They will be 4 months in 4 days, and still not a peep from Branch in the crowing department.
Branch, my favorite and tv buddy.
DSCN5415.JPG
DSCN5417.JPG
DSCN5420.JPG
DSCN5423.JPG

Poppy
DSCN5424.JPG

DSCN5425.JPG

Lil Bit
DSCN5427.JPG
DSCN5429.JPG
DSCN5430.JPG
DSCN5433.JPG
DSCN5435.JPG

So, I thought I would give Layla a chance. 🥰
Set up a brooder for her in a dog crate.
She is just settling in. She is a little wet as I just sprayed her with a little permethrin before she sets for real.
How many eggs should I give her? She usually sits on 2 fake eggs. I put 3 fake ones in there while the real eggs are coming up to room temp.😊
Eggs are full standard size.
E5DE77CC-6649-4BEC-AC73-0953C2BA93E9.jpeg

Last edited:
She is just settling in. She is a little wet as I just sprayed her with a little permethrin before she sets for real.
How many eggs should I give her? She usually sits on 2 fake eggs. I put 3 fake ones in there while the real eggs are coming up to room temp.😊
Eggs are full standard size.View attachment 2852461
Maybe 5 eggs? I think for a silkie that'd be a fare number.

She is soo pretty, btw!!!

Oh! So egg-citing!!!!! Maybe try 3 eggs? As they are bigger and it is her first time.

Unfortunately overnight Smokey (first time mum) left 2 eggs out of the nest (out of 5) maybe she kicked them out accidentally I don't know. They were cold and hatch is Tuesday. I put them back under her but I haven't got much hope!!! 😭
Meanwhile Puff has only 3 possible eggs left in her nest. So looks like I won't have many chicks 😞
I was hoping for lots of chicks this month so they will be ready to lay before Winter! Not happening. And now I won't have eggs from the 2 broodies for months!
...and most that do hatch are probably roosters!!

I would say like 5. She is so cute! :love Good luck with your hatch!!

Oh! So egg-citing!!!!! Maybe try 3 eggs? As they are bigger and it is her first time.

Unfortunately overnight Smokey (first time mum) left 2 eggs out of the nest (out of 5) maybe she kicked them out accidentally I don't know. They were cold and hatch is Tuesday. I put them back under her but I haven't got much hope!!! 😭
Meanwhile Puff has only 3 possible eggs left in her nest. So looks like I won't have many chicks 😞
I was hoping for lots of chicks this month so they will be ready to lay before Winter! Not happening. And now I won't have eggs from the 2 broodies for months!
...and most that do hatch are probably roosters!!
Thanks.🥰
Sorry you lost so many eggs.🙁
I just placed three under her. I had four but I dropped one so that takes care of that. Pretty good sized eggs.😊

Back
Top Bottom