Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Yall the babies are 6 weeks old now! I just LUV satin silkies soooo much! It's like the best of both worlds - chickens n silkies!!! (I don't think of my silkies as "chickens"...they r fluff balls!!! Lol)
I'm workin on integration with my 3 older silkies and the one I thought would be most accepting is being the worst! Vanilli has plucked out mouth full of feathers from lil Gracie even through a fence!
I read on BYC that the pecking order can change when chicks enter into the flock...Vanilli is definitely the lowest in older flock but she was also the sweetheart! It's like her personality totally changed!
I'm wandering if I'll ever be able to integrate em fully. I haven't intervened other than to say no or behave but I hate seeing em pecked and not getting along.
Im worried about the same. Seems like the paint silkie chicks are doing fine with their polish brooder mates, and daisy and minnie (my d'uccles) were besties with my first silkie girls... but they and Elsa even pick on giant polish girl Esmeralda... im worried for the little silkies 🥺

Esmeralda squatted for me this morning!!! I had a hunch she would be laying any time!

I'm going to start holding the new chicks more.. i suspect which polish is going to be male.. and wings were so different on the silkies, that i think ill have one male and one female (i know normally you can't use wings... but on these two, it seemed to be very distinct). Right now everyone is just so skittish in the brooder.

No.. they've just got an overly jealous boyfriend 🙄 pays to stay single!
Well...they might luv me more now!!!
Lol I forgot it was supposed to rain in a bit and didn't get to do the integration time today cuz daughter n her family have the flu and she was exhausted so I went to help with 9 month old while she sicker 3 year old and herself.
So I'm down in the run under tarps letting them all mingle through a fence and it starts to rain...well wouldn't ya know it didn't slack up and the new coop doesn't have a cut out to the run yet 🤪
So...I could tell they were ready for bed and little chilly so was holding em one by one...which left the others chirping LOUDLY. So I had 2 then and they just sat down in my lap and started going to sleep!
Then the other joined em which left the lil cockrel...he flew up onto the hay bale and I added him to the lap!
Still figuring it was gonna let up raining any second. Nope...Zoey and Gracie were asleep...Josie was determined to stay completely underneath my hand and Joey...tough dude on the outside edge of lap.
So I finally just wrapped em up in my shirt - they didn't even budge! I ran around, locked the run and opened up new coop and they literally were frozen in my shirt! I had to pick em up which started the loud chirping all over again lol.
Maybe now they'll luv me! Lolol - nah probs not but it's OK.

Last edited:
Well...they might luv me more now!!!
Lol I forgot it was supposed to rain in a bit and didn't get to do the integration time today cuz daughter n her family have the flu and she was exhausted so I went to help with 9 month old while she sicker 3 year old and herself.
So I'm down in the run under tarps letting them all mingle through a fence and it starts to rain...well wouldn't ya know it didn't slack up and the new coop doesn't have a cut out to the run yet 🤪
So...I could tell they were ready for bed and little chilly so was holding em one by one...which left the others chirping LOUDLY. So I had 2 then and they just sat down in my lap and started going to sleep!
Then the other joined em which left the lil cockrel...he flew up onto the hay bale and I added him to the lap!
Still figuring it was gonna let up raining any second. Nope...Zoey and Gracie were asle...Josie was determined to stay completely underneath my hand and Joey...tough dude on the outside edge of lap.
So I finally just wrapped em up in my shirt - they didn't even budge! I ran around, locked the run and opened up new coop and they literally were frozen in my shirt! I had to pick em up which started the loud chirping all over again lol.
Maybe now they'll luv me! Lolol - nah probs not but it's OK.
Awwww they do love you!! 🥰

I’m so confused what these are. Idk if these were “fathered” by my paint, recessive white, or splash rooster but I have these hens:
Black
Buff
Recessive White
Weird red pyle color
Splash
Paint

Attachments

• 16FA4616-2912-44B5-BB1C-DE82D951DAA1.jpeg
    16FA4616-2912-44B5-BB1C-DE82D951DAA1.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 52EA301A-D11D-488E-8075-7A3307446703.jpeg
    52EA301A-D11D-488E-8075-7A3307446703.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 971A9D05-31FB-47C5-8C66-1C16F2DD5E4A.jpeg
    971A9D05-31FB-47C5-8C66-1C16F2DD5E4A.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 2
I’m so confused what these are. Idk if these were “fathered” by my paint, recessive white, or splash rooster but I have these hens:
Black
Buff
Recessive White
Weird red pyle color
Splash
Paint
Gorgeous babies!😍
I responded on your other thread, but really had nothing to add that hadn’t already been said.❤️

Back
Top Bottom