Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Hi everyone. It's been awhile. Ezzie is now over 4 month's old and I'm still guessing on if she's a girl or a boy. She walks around and has the posture of a hen, no wattles and with a single comb still pretty much has nothing. I've also thankfully heard no crowing from her or the other 6 of her hooligan siblings. What scares me is her rich color, although I love it. Boy or girl though, me and Rosie decided that Ezzie could go no where and placed 1 of my 2 BCM boys so if she turned out to be a boy she stays. I am still hoping deep down she's a girl, and will call her a girl until proven otherwise. Besides color, I will say she is a exact copy of her momma Chiquita.
DSCN7904.JPG
DSCN7906.JPG
DSCN7908.JPG
DSCN7909.JPG
DSCN7911.JPG
DSCN7913.JPG
DSCN7915.JPG
DSCN7917.JPG
DSCN7918.JPG
DSCN7919.JPG
DSCN7920.JPG

Hi everyone. It's been awhile. Ezzie is now over 4 month's old and I'm still guessing on if she's a girl or a boy. She walks around and has the posture of a hen, no wattles and with a single comb still pretty much has nothing. I've also thankfully heard no crowing from her or the other 6 of her hooligan siblings. What scares me is her rich color, although I love it. Boy or girl though, me and Rosie decided that Ezzie could go no where and placed 1 of my 2 BCM boys so if she turned out to be a boy she stays. I am still hoping deep down she's a girl, and will call her a girl until proven otherwise. Besides color, I will say she is a exact copy of her momma Chiquita.
View attachment 3135125View attachment 3135126View attachment 3135127View attachment 3135128View attachment 3135129View attachment 3135130View attachment 3135131View attachment 3135132View attachment 3135133View attachment 3135134View attachment 3135135
What a cutie!!! Those cheeks in first pic!
I'm kinda torn on this one as to if boy or girl! Comb isn't huge, but looks like streamers comin in...hold out for a girl!

View attachment 3135125View attachment 3135126View attachment 3135127View attachment 3135128View attachment 3135129View attachment 3135130View attachment 3135131View attachment 3135132View attachment 3135133View attachment 3135134View attachment 3135135
Don't just go by me but....it does look like streamers coming in and he/she has alot of tail feathers which usually means only one thing....

Looks very much like a boy in color. Some of me sweetest silkies have been boys.

@chickengr
It's Winter here and I'm looking up how to get rid of condensation problems in the coop and see you wrote (A few years back)

'more ventilation would change nothing. I have similar roof in my porch, 3 sides open. every morning (even in summer) I find moisture dripping.'

Did you find a solution to your problem?
I have plenty of ventilation but have tin roof and use tarps and timber sides.

...anyone else feel free to comment on condensation issues! 😃

Someone 😒😒😒 is being an AH today… I’m pretty confident he’s a roo, but what about my other possible roos? Thanks oh experts!

Turd Muffin from this morning

View attachment 3134859View attachment 3134858

Potential Suspect #1

View attachment 3134862

Now this was the one I was thinking pullet, it was a chirpier chirp vs a rasp

View attachment 3134863
I forgot to close the coop door last night.. so at 415 i had an alarm. Which means the neighbors did too.. in my NON-acreage lot neighborhood. Ran out there to close up and i swear he was crowing in his sleep!!

@chickengr
It's Winter here and I'm looking up how to get rid of condensation problems in the coop and see you wrote (A few years back)

'more ventilation would change nothing. I have similar roof in my porch, 3 sides open. every morning (even in summer) I find moisture dripping.'

Did you find a solution to your problem?
I have plenty of ventilation but have tin roof and use tarps and timber sides.

...anyone else feel free to comment on condensation issues! 😃

I simply ignore it. we do not need to invest a lot of money for the chicken roofing. if there is good ventilation chickens are ok. they can sleep on the trees in rain, right?

I have the same problem on my porch that has a tin roof. it is a completely open space.

I forgot to close the coop door last night.. so at 415 i had an alarm. Which means the neighbors did too.. in my NON-acreage lot neighborhood. Ran out there to close up and i swear he was crowing in his sleep!!
Oh gosh, little turd! I accidentally woke up one of our roos tonight and felt so bad. Luckily he went right back to sleep 😅 We’re not the only one with roos, but we’re still not supposed to have any lol

I simply ignore it. we do not need to invest a lot of money for the chicken roofing. if there is good ventilation chickens are ok. they can sleep on the trees in rain, right?

I have the same problem on my porch that has a tin roof. it is a completely open space.
I feel the same way. We’re super dry here and I don’t have condensation issues that I’ve seen, but the roof/walls frosted in winter. No issues with frostbite, smell, and it’s very well ventilated. All my girls are happy and healthy, I’m trying not to overthink it

Back
Top Bottom