Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
22B031A3-9D50-442B-AF26-A3677FE10135.jpeg
The babys are getting crest feathers:yanezuko is way more trusting then kiwi 🥝 but kiwi gets cuddles weather they like it or not. I absolutely love her colour it’s so pretty. I was wondering their mom Charlie is a bantam silkie do you think kiwi and nezuko will be smaller then an average silkie?

Thank you everyone. Ezzie's rich color scares me just a little. Ezzie acts like a hen, walks around like a hen, but I'm starting to silently question myself. Either way I will love love her just the same. I'm sorry, until I hear a crow I have to keep referring to Ezzie as a her. My favorite boy I own is my black Silkie Branch. I absolutely would not mind another one.
DSCN7561.JPG

Branch is also now a proud daddy. He has 1 full silkie chick my cousin hatched out from a chiquita egg. I was also surprised a week and a half ago when one of my "pure" Marans eggs hatched and it popped out with silkie toes. I've set and hatched 40 chicks this year, and my cousin has hatched out 20 from my flock from my big stock girls. Both of us were convinced that even though he tries he was not able to breed the big girls. They either shake him off, chase him or he just flat out misses.
Meet little Twig. Twig has its daddy's beard, toes, comb and personality but as it's feathers are now coming in Twig's got it's momma's normal feathers. I did not intend for a Silkie x Marans cross, but now that I have one I can not wait to see what it looks like as a adult.
DSCN7777.JPG
DSCN7776.JPG
DSCN7770.JPG

Thank you everyone. Ezzie's rich color scares me just a little. Ezzie acts like a hen, walks around like a hen, but I'm starting to silently question myself. Either way I will love love her just the same. I'm sorry, until I hear a crow I have to keep referring to Ezzie as a her. My favorite boy I own is my black Silkie Branch. I absolutely would not mind another one.
pretty pretty birds. mine are looking so much bigger now. heres an amazing pic i got today im pretty proud of.

Attachments

• 20220604_083804.jpg
    20220604_083804.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi everyone. It's been awhile. Ezzie is now over 4 month's old and I'm still guessing on if she's a girl or a boy. She walks around and has the posture of a hen, no wattles and with a single comb still pretty much has nothing. I've also thankfully heard no crowing from her or the other 6 of her hooligan siblings. What scares me is her rich color, although I love it. Boy or girl though, me and Rosie decided that Ezzie could go no where and placed 1 of my 2 BCM boys so if she turned out to be a boy she stays. I am still hoping deep down she's a girl, and will call her a girl until proven otherwise. Besides color, I will say she is a exact copy of her momma Chiquita.
View attachment 3135125View attachment 3135126View attachment 3135127View attachment 3135128View attachment 3135129View attachment 3135130View attachment 3135131View attachment 3135132View attachment 3135133View attachment 3135134View attachment 3135135
pretty colors.

Silkies are perfect size for soup. That's what happens to my extra roosters. Mom will take all I'm willing to part with because they taste like the real chicken she remembers from growing up. She prefers to chicken and dumpling them.
i have heard mixxed things about silkie meat....... not sure im interested in finding out how black meat tastes.

Oh gosh, little turd! I accidentally woke up one of our roos tonight and felt so bad. Luckily he went right back to sleep 😅 We’re not the only one with roos, but we’re still not supposed to have any lol
I get it! They're legal here, but there are still noise regulations.. so far no complaints, and i want to keep it that way. I think he heard something that scared him too.

i have heard mixxed things about silkie meat....... not sure im interested in finding out how black meat tastes.

Exactly the same as my ameraucana and easter egger cockerels. All are slow maturing and eat the same thing here. Only difference is size and visual.

So they taste nothing like commercial chicken in that they have flavor and have actual muscle texture to the meat. Difference between butchering at 8-10 weeks vs 36 weeks when I normally do.

I get it! They're legal here, but there are still noise regulations.. so far no complaints, and i want to keep it that way. I think he heard something that scared him too.
Several times a week, unfortunately, something scares my boy and he cockadoodledoos during the night...ugh.
I keep prayin I dont get a knock at our door!

Back
Top Bottom