Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
So pretty! :love I do love the orange!
Will the Silkie pullet lay blue eggs or is that the next gen? I can't wait to see pic of your Silkies laying blue eggs!! Wish it was easier to breed for that in 1 gen instead of a long wait of breeding!

That pullet might. Wont know until she starts laying. She hatched from a blue egg. So 50% chance.

The offspring from the 2nd gen hens are much better looking than from the 2nd gen rooster. He did carry the blue egg gene, though. He looked more like a bantam ameraucana.

He looks paint with leakage, so the dominant white will really show through in many of his offspring.
With splash he’ll throw blue and blue paint chicks.
With partridge, assuming it’s black based or standard Partridge, he will throw black and paint chicks with a strong possibility of partridge leakage, especially in the males.
With recessive white he will throw paint and likely black chicks. All depends on what the recessive white is hiding genetically.
He is gorgeous!😍
Oh it’s so tempting!! 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

So I spontaneously decided to hatch my Silkie/Ameraucana hen Hikari’s eggs after I regretted selling her. Found and set 6 eggs. I sold their grandmother a few years ago.
These 5 nuggets that hatched yesterday are 75% Silkie. 🥰
I posted the same photo on the hatch along. I really wanted to keep at least one, but I had already promised 4 chicks to a customer, I will try to see if I can get broody Hanabi to take one. Poor thing has been broody for months and I think it may be the only way to break her.
Waiting to see which ones have smooth feathers (50/50 chance), hoping it is the little blue one as it looks just like Hikari as a chick.😊
34855C4A-EB22-43FA-9C11-B26166C4ADEB.jpeg

Mom Hikari
1F1C45CE-737A-4FAF-8504-A803580A0471.jpeg

Grandmother Hedwig
6513C95D-13EE-4636-8667-7E8D42441A83.jpeg

The chicken life, who knew it could be so hard. I'm going to have to put down one if my newly hatched chicks as it looks like it has a neck problem. This bird was an assisted hatch and it seems like it's neck keeps going to the position of oi being tucked under the leg for hatching or a little crooked when it's standing. This little guy is so cute and wish that it could have had a better life. But I know putting it down will be the right thing because it will not be able to enjoy life in the state that it's in. It just breaks my heart to see such a cute fluff ball have to go. I read an article on here about using ether, how do ya'll handle put down birds like this?

Last edited:
The chicken life, who knew it could be so hard. I'm going to have to put down one if my newly hatched chicks as it looks like it has a neck problem. This bird was an assisted hatch and it seems like it's neck keeps going to the position of oi being tucked under the leg for hatching or a little crooked when it's standing. This little guy is so cute and wish that it could have had a better life. But I know putting it down will be the right thing because it will not be able to enjoy life in the state that it's in. It just breaks my heart to see such a cute fluff ball have to go. I read an article on here about using ether, how do ya'll handle put down birds like this?
How old is it sometimes my chicks do this when they are very new?

It's only a few days old
I used sub lingual B vitamins for a chick that had wry neck, or appeared to have neck issues.. It took time for him to come out of it, and still has issues preening saddle and tail feathers, but he's a happy go lucky lil fellow.. I wouldn't trade this experience for all the tea in China.

Back
Top Bottom