Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Bad news, Skitty isn't looking good, antibiotics, ointment, Epsom, vitamins, but no improvement. Her prolpase is horrible! Too much blood! She must be pecking at it 😢 looks like I'll need to cull her 😢 she's still eating herself but just blood all over her bottom and on the roost is horrible! Surely she's in pain? 😢
Oh gosh I'm so sorry! So that's whats wrong with her...I hate when you've done everything possible and they aren't getting any better.
:hugs

Bad news, Skitty isn't looking good, antibiotics, ointment, Epsom, vitamins, but no improvement. Her prolpase is horrible! Too much blood! She must be pecking at it 😢 looks like I'll need to cull her 😢 she's still eating herself but just blood all over her bottom and on the roost is horrible! Surely she's in pain? 😢

give her water with hot pepper powder. it might stop or diminish bleeding. she might have coccidiosis and in that case antibiotics don't help.

Oh no I'm so sorry! 😢 It's so hard to know the right thing to do in these situations. 😞

How is Skitty doin? Hoping she's much better!!!

I got some side profiles. I know I missed someone, but I'm not sure who. lol
I know the first one is a little dude. He is the oldest and he's looking pretty rough right now.
View attachment 3230719
View attachment 3230721View attachment 3230723View attachment 3230725View attachment 3230727
View attachment 3230738
View attachment 3230739View attachment 3230740
View attachment 3230741
View attachment 3230743

They are beautiful! 🥰

Those are great photos showing crests. I'm seeing more that look feminine than masculine so far taking a look at crests and combs (and even color on the more partridge looking ones). I'm thinking maybe a little more time will be helpful in determining sex if they are still just 10-13 weeks though. None of them have full streamers in yet from what I can see. Some look like they are probably starting to get them but the start of streamers and new feathers coming in along with certain smaller more swept back crests in females can look very similar to streamers just starting. Since the streamers aren't in fully enough to be as helpful I'd go by combs at this point still. Some girls will have larger combs than you'd expect and some boys get them in slower but overall you'll still have a fairly good guess by comb size at this point. Usually by 15 weeks my grow outs are pretty obvious male looking vs female but sometimes I'll have slow developers. Different lines may mature at different rates as well.

I've been having some slower to develop groups lately and it's looking like I am having to wait till 20 weeks to clearly see streamers in all the boys.

This is one of my slower boys at about 14 weeks. He really didn't have streamers yet here.

Dark splash.jpg

And then here is a picture I just got of him today just shy of 20 weeks. His streamers aren't in fully yet but they are well on their way now.

Splash almost 20 weeks.jpg

Compare that to this little paint guy I had a couple years ago who was showing fairly obvious streamers at just 11-12 weeks. 😂

Male 11 weeks.jpg

They are beautiful! 🥰

Those are great photos showing crests. I'm seeing more that look feminine than masculine so far taking a look at crests and combs (and even color on the more partridge looking ones). I'm thinking maybe a little more time will be helpful in determining sex if they are still just 10-13 weeks though. None of them have full streamers in yet from what I can see. Some look like they are probably starting to get them but the start of streamers and new feathers coming in along with certain smaller more swept back crests in females can look very similar to streamers just starting. Since the streamers aren't in fully enough to be as helpful I'd go by combs at this point still. Some girls will have larger combs than you'd expect and some boys get them in slower but overall you'll still have a fairly good guess by comb size at this point. Usually by 15 weeks my grow outs are pretty obvious male looking vs female but sometimes I'll have slow developers. Different lines may mature at different rates as well.

I've been having some slower to develop groups lately and it's looking like I am having to wait till 20 weeks to clearly see streamers in all the boys.

This is one of my slower boys at about 14 weeks. He really didn't have streamers yet here.

View attachment 3233350

And then here is a picture I just got of him today just shy of 20 weeks. His streamers aren't in fully yet but they are well on their way now.

View attachment 3233352

Compare that to this little paint guy I had a couple years ago who was showing fairly obvious streamers at just 11-12 weeks. 😂

View attachment 3233357
Thank you so much! Oh my word your boy is beautiful!

I will be patient. They're not going anywhere. As long as they get along they can stay here forever, boy or girl. I am so shocked at how slowly they grow, but I think they're adorable and sweet!

The breeder told me that her hatches usually run about 2/3 girls, but I wouldn't be surprised to be the exception. lol Plus these are from three different clutches.

Back
Top Bottom