Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Some of the girls enjoying the late afternoon.

20220828_190210.jpg

Giving my chicks a haircut was not on my 2022 BINGO card. But that’s where we are.

I added four silkie chicks this May. My third batch of silkies. The others are not fancy birds. This chicks came from Crackle Hachery. I noticed that the four little ones have been, well, poofing.

I also learned that the new ones are Bearded.

So after seeing one chick yesterday trip over a walnut on the ground, I started in on my first haircuts on my chickens.
Picture of birds last week.
A0478730-A8AD-406B-92F4-28EBE2941B4A.jpeg

I trimmed three yesterday. They were well behaved.
And it worked. They found seed and worms on top of crate.
91FE94FA-17A3-46B5-8EE7-1C0751958B17.jpeg

The buff girl got her trim this morning. And She is now running through the yard without hitting things.
11FCFB7D-261D-404D-BC48-D3EA8A583D07.jpeg

She looks quite proud of her new hairdo.

Mariano is so handsome, but he’s not very good at keeping track of his ladies 😅 I let the banty pen free range last evening and found a D’Uccle tucked into the laying coop at bedtime. Thought nothing of it, sometimes the little ones get stuck in there if there’s too many big chickens blocking the way. But came out this morning to poor Cotton waiting by her coop! She must have tucked herself into some greenery and I didn’t notice her. Luckily we have very few predators and she was totally fine!

He dances for me and was so patient with me trying to get some nice photos lol

49D3DC9A-AF11-4C8E-B8BF-22B74D909858.jpeg
F9FC5997-A6F1-4ED6-8FC1-26974716735D.jpeg

Mariano is so handsome, but he’s not very good at keeping track of his ladies 😅 I let the banty pen free range last evening and found a D’Uccle tucked into the laying coop at bedtime. Thought nothing of it, sometimes the little ones get stuck in there if there’s too many big chickens blocking the way. But came out this morning to poor Cotton waiting by her coop! She must have tucked herself into some greenery and I didn’t notice her. Luckily we have very few predators and she was totally fine!

He dances for me and was so patient with me trying to get some nice photos lol

View attachment 3242690View attachment 3242691
He's handsome!!!

It got so quiet.

This is the giant spurs on my white rooster. :lau Took him 6 years to grow them this long. I've had silver ameraucana hens with spurs 4 times as long. He only started growing some spur last year
20220830_184800.jpg

Many of my roosters have been spurless. My original rooster didn't grow them and it passed on. My oldest partridge rooster is half and half. One leg is clean and the other grows a small spur that curls tightly back. He gets a once a year trim on it the last couple years.

Oh you guys! I had to share…my broody broody Cochins managed to incubate one of their eggs up until 5 days till hatch so after they abandoned the one egg that hadn’t quit I popped the lonely egg in an incubator and sort of forgot about it and didn’t really think it would hatch. Monday I looked up during a meeting and a teeny black baby was laying in the incubator! SO…now I have a teeny bantam Cochin chick that’s too small to add to the brooder with the silkies…and it’s SO lonely! It cries anytime I leave and always want to sleep on me. It is so adorable but I feel very sad for her…so I asked my local Facebook poultry friends if anyone had a super young bantam chick. Well it just happens that my last vacation my chicken sitter asked if she could hatch some of the eggs I let her have while watching them….and they too just hatched! She messaged me tonight and offered to let me have a couple of them and sent pics—and they have 5 toes!! I think they are Sia babies! 😍😍😍

Look at how cute they are!!
8CBFA1D6-C403-418B-8682-17FCF8885705.jpeg

The lightest one looks to have only 4 toes but I’m very curious what it will feather out as…Sia is splash…but the only active rooster is Bruno so I’m not sure how his genes pair up! Splash only happens with the blue gene though right? This is Bruno…
3A323723-DD43-4E4E-94C1-3EC0EF9ED0B9.jpeg

I’m silly excited about getting my own chicks back 😆 we may do a swap with a black Silkie chick! Inky and Blinky might just be inky soon…haha.

Attachments

• 98ED3993-FCD7-4DC1-9FB8-31580E8DEC0A.jpeg
    98ED3993-FCD7-4DC1-9FB8-31580E8DEC0A.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 04064980-86CB-47B0-8D86-F148BD9867E6.jpeg
    04064980-86CB-47B0-8D86-F148BD9867E6.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 1
Oh you guys! I had to share…my broody broody Cochins managed to incubate one of their eggs up until 5 days till hatch so after they abandoned the one egg that hadn’t quit I popped the lonely egg in an incubator and sort of forgot about it and didn’t really think it would hatch. Monday I looked up during a meeting and a teeny black baby was laying in the incubator! SO…now I have a teeny bantam Cochin chick that’s too small to add to the brooder with the silkies…and it’s SO lonely! It cries anytime I leave and always want to sleep on me. It is so adorable but I feel very sad for her…so I asked my local Facebook poultry friends if anyone had a super young bantam chick. Well it just happens that my last vacation my chicken sitter asked if she could hatch some of the eggs I let her have while watching them….and they too just hatched! She messaged me tonight and offered to let me have a couple of them and sent pics—and they have 5 toes!! I think they are Sia babies! 😍😍😍

Look at how cute they are!!
View attachment 3243193
The lightest one looks to have only 4 toes but I’m very curious what it will feather out as…Sia is splash…but the only active rooster is Bruno so I’m not sure how his genes pair up! Splash only happens with the blue gene though right? This is Bruno…
View attachment 3243194
I’m silly excited about getting my own chicks back 😆 we may do a swap with a black Silkie chick! Inky and Blinky might just be inky soon…haha.
Awe that's awesome that she hatched some and is gonna give you some back!!!
I'm useless when it comes to understanding the genetics stuff...Bruno is pretty! Is he a standard breed?

Yall I don't have any pics to show yet but Perdy is filling out more like a girl all of a sudden! Big poofy hairdo on top! And not nearly as likely to spar and chest bump constantly! Isn't it crazy how their personality can change over night!?!

Awe that's awesome that she hatched some and is gonna give you some back!!!
I'm useless when it comes to understanding the genetics stuff...Bruno is pretty! Is he a standard breed?

Yall I don't have any pics to show yet but Perdy is filling out more like a girl all of a sudden! Big poofy hairdo on top! And not nearly as likely to spar and chest bump constantly! Isn't it crazy how their personality can change over night!?!
He’s an Olandsk Dwarf chicken so just a little dude! I didn’t think splash was really possible without the blue gene and I know he doesn’t carry it…so the splash might be a full Cochin, as I do have blue Cochins. But a lot of Bruno’s babies come out looking mottled but a lot of white/yellow…so maybe it will get some weird feather pattern! They are just so cute and since Bruno is smooth, that could mean an unofficial satin, yeah? 😄

Back
Top Bottom