Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I know a little while ago I hinted at a new color project this fall when I could get eggs from a breeder. I ended up getting something even better! The breeder decided to focus more on her other breeds and offered me the little flock those eggs were going to be coming from! 😁

It's this little guy (named Mr. Pants) who has the color I'm hoping to try to recreate and learn more about.

View attachment 3251266

His background doesn't give many hints into what he is as he was an unexpected color (the original breeder thought he came out of her paints). I believe the white portion of the color is most likely due to mottling or an allelic mutation of mottled but hopefully breeding will help me confirm or deny and find out more. Based on the chicks he has already sired the white portion of his coloring is not due to any dominant genes. I won't learn much more until I've hatched and grown out some daughters that can be bred back to him to try to get certain genes homozygous though. I've seen some other chickens (both silkie and non) with a somewhat similar phenotype but not often. I just love the color and have been fascinated with finding out more about it for a while now. I'm really hoping I can get somewhere with trying for more like him with some time and dedication but even if I can't it's going to be fun experimenting and learning first hand. ☺️

I'm guessing breeding out the light skin may prove a challenge (or may not be possible as with some colors where dermal melanin is inhibited) but the single comb will be easy enough to breed out down the line. For now my main focus will be color and type. I've got 5 eggs from him and his girls about a week off from hatching and will be incubating more soon when I collect enough. 😊
He is just WOW Gorgeous!

I know a little while ago I hinted at a new color project this fall when I could get eggs from a breeder. I ended up getting something even better! The breeder decided to focus more on her other breeds and offered me the little flock those eggs were going to be coming from! 😁

It's this little guy (named Mr. Pants) who has the color I'm hoping to try to recreate and learn more about.

View attachment 3251266

His background doesn't give many hints into what he is as he was an unexpected color (the original breeder thought he came out of her paints). I believe the white portion of the color is most likely due to mottling or an allelic mutation of mottled but hopefully breeding will help me confirm or deny and find out more. Based on the chicks he has already sired the white portion of his coloring is not due to any dominant genes. I won't learn much more until I've hatched and grown out some daughters that can be bred back to him to try to get certain genes homozygous though. I've seen some other chickens (both silkie and non) with a somewhat similar phenotype but not often. I just love the color and have been fascinated with finding out more about it for a while now. I'm really hoping I can get somewhere with trying for more like him with some time and dedication but even if I can't it's going to be fun experimenting and learning first hand. ☺️

I'm guessing breeding out the light skin may prove a challenge (or may not be possible as with some colors where dermal melanin is inhibited) but the single comb will be easy enough to breed out down the line. For now my main focus will be color and type. I've got 5 eggs from him and his girls about a week off from hatching and will be incubating more soon when I collect enough. 😊
OMG Mr Pants is ADORABLE

OMGeeze! I mean seriously like OMGeeze!!! He could introduce the most gorgeous coloring into the Silkie world!!! I've never seen anything remotely like him, have you!?! He is stunning!!!
I can't believe you get to try out this new color combo and soon sounds like if ya already got eggs in the bator!!!
Can I just say I'm glad u r in TN!!! I envision roadtrips in the future 😆!

I just read why some people don't like silkies and I immediately thought of my dog!
dumber than rocks: yep
looks like a dust mop: definitely yes
0 predator awareness : effie quote - "can I come home with you?"
but I still love her just as much as ever! she is sooo affectionate and you really can't sleep with a silkie hen ( oh, except when they are house pets and wear diapers...)
anyway, now onto some super silkie pictures!
(top to bottom) prince crowing by one of his many wives,
prince and ,one of my silkie hens, chiffon.
DSC00978.JPG
DSC00972.JPG

I just read why some people don't like silkies and I immediately thought of my dog!
but I still love her just as much as ever! she is sooo affectionate and you really can't sleep with a silkie hen ( oh, except when they are house pets and wear diapers...)
View attachment 3251352View attachment 3251356
Your birds are very pretty!

OMGeeze! I mean seriously like OMGeeze!!! He could introduce the most gorgeous coloring into the Silkie world!!! I've never seen anything remotely like him, have you!?! He is stunning!!!
I can't believe you get to try out this new color combo and soon sounds like if ya already got eggs in the bator!!!
Can I just say I'm glad u r in TN!!! I envision roadtrips in the future 😆!

Thanks! Yeah I definitely feel very lucky to have the opportunity to try working on this! If it ends up being very reproducible I hope the color will catch on. 😊 The babies I have close to hatching now will just be splits so will probably look pretty normal (his girls he has now are unrelated and though pretty all normal colors). The breeder I got him from hatched out a decent amount from him and none have a pattern anything like his which is why I think it is likely recessive. I'll have to wait at least another 6-7 months to get his daughters old enough to breed back to him but when that happens I'll be able to learn more. 😁 I have actually seen several silkies somewhat like him being posted various places but rarely. I've saved back photos. They aren't mine to share publicly but if you are interested feel free to send a PM and I'd be happy to show you what I've found. ☺️

View attachment 3251352View attachment 3251356

Aww I love them, they are so pretty! ❤️

Thanks! Yeah I definitely feel very lucky to have the opportunity to try working on this! If it ends up being very reproducible I hope the color will catch on. 😊 The babies I have close to hatching now will just be splits so will probably look pretty normal (his girls he has now are unrelated and though pretty all normal colors). The breeder I got him from hatched out a decent amount from him and none have a pattern anything like his which is why I think it is likely recessive. I'll have to wait at least another 6-7 months to get his daughters old enough to breed back to him but when that happens I'll be able to learn more. 😁 I have actually seen several silkies somewhat like him being posted various places but rarely. I've saved back photos. They aren't mine to share publicly but if you are interested feel free to send a PM and I'd be happy to show you what I've found. ☺️

Aww I love them, they are so pretty! ❤️
Oh I better not look! I'll just have to wait patiently til you perfect it cuz I already have way too many...not to mention for sure 3 boys I'm  not supposed to even have.
but please do keep me updated on how it goes!!! I would LUV to have a Silkie with those color markings like that!!!

Back
Top Bottom