Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
crammed up against the wall and all you could see was a little white ball of fluff popping out from under one of the hens butts
Such a sweetie and so brave!!!
Mine do this same thing with each other! Literally everyone wants to be in under someone! Then they wonder why they get pooped on!
Oh never mind they don't care it's just me wondering lLOLOLOL

What a great story!🤣 I just love Betty! 😍
Sounds like her personality is as big as her name sake! She seems quite happy with her new gang.😊
I know, Betty really does fit her name! She’s hilarious when she’s broody and coming off the nest for food and water too. She runs around like her hair is on fire, sort of puffed out, yelling the entire time, and instead of running it’s like she’s sort of bouncing around…I imagine her saying “Look out chickens!! I’m on a quick break and I’m hungry and thirsty, but the babies need me! Outta my way! Outta my way!” 😆😆 My other broodies just come out all puffed up and pissy and then go back in…but Betty is a whole show 😆 She’s just the best haha 😆

So, I bit the bullet and ordered hatching eggs from a mainland breeder. She was lovely to work with. Took about six weeks from the point of contact to the time I got the eggs. Though when the eggs shipped they only took two and a half days to get here. They arrived on Friday and are in decent shape for shipped eggs, a lot of loose and saddled air cells but none detached. Some are even fully intact.
They are going into day three and are sitting upright and being gently hand turned currently. Plan is to let them just incubate on their sides when I have to go back to work on Thursday.
My reason for ordering eggs is that half of my females are related to my one rooster and thinking it’s time for an unrelated rooster and maybe some unrelated hens to add to the flock. Still want to keep my numbers below 20, so this does require some shifting around in the other chickens I have. I had already sold a few of my laying hens.
So hopefully I get a few chicks out of this batch.🤞😊

I know, Betty really does fit her name! She’s hilarious when she’s broody and coming off the nest for food and water too. She runs around like her hair is on fire, sort of puffed out, yelling the entire time, and instead of running it’s like she’s sort of bouncing around…I imagine her saying “Look out chickens!! I’m on a quick break and I’m hungry and thirsty, but the babies need me! Outta my way! Outta my way!” 😆😆 My other broodies just come out all puffed up and pissy and then go back in…but Betty is a whole show 😆 She’s just the best haha 😆
You really need to get this on video and see if you can post it here! Broodies crack me up!🤣

So, I bit the bullet and ordered hatching eggs from a mainland breeder. She was lovely to work with. Took about six weeks from the point of contact to the time I got the eggs. Though when the eggs shipped they only took two and a half days to get here. They arrived on Friday and are in decent shape for shipped eggs, a lot of loose and saddled air cells but none detached. Some are even fully intact.
They are going into day three and are sitting upright and being gently hand turned currently. Plan is to let them just incubate on their sides when I have to go back to work on Thursday.
My reason for ordering eggs is that half of my females are related to my one rooster and thinking it’s time for an unrelated rooster and maybe some unrelated hens to add to the flock. Still want to keep my numbers below 20, so this does require some shifting around in the other chickens I have. I had already sold a few of my laying hens.
So hopefully I get a few chicks out of this batch.🤞😊
Six weeks! Goodness! I'm glad they can make it so fast though, that is faster than the eggs shipped to me from Fresno haha. I sure hope you are able to get a few eggs to hatch! I think infusing new genetics is really smart! I am working on adding some new genetics to my Olandsk Dwarf flock next spring, everyone in the Valley here has the same line of Greenfire Farms ODs. Hoping to have some success! Are you doing them in the October HAL? I might join to follow along on their journey :D

Six weeks! Goodness! I'm glad they can make it so fast though, that is faster than the eggs shipped to me from Fresno haha. I sure hope you are able to get a few eggs to hatch! I think infusing new genetics is really smart! I am working on adding some new genetics to my Olandsk Dwarf flock next spring, everyone in the Valley here has the same line of Greenfire Farms ODs. Hoping to have some success! Are you doing them in the October HAL? I might join to follow along on their journey :D
Thanks! I really hope I get a few to hatch but I don’t want to get my hopes up too much. Yes I’m on the October hatch long which I started a bit ago. Please join us!🥰
I have some of my own eggs on this as well. I have a set that are on day 15 and a set that are on day 8 and then these new shipped eggs on day 2. I just ordered another NR360 off Amazon.:oops:

I love the Olandsk Dwarfs, they are so cute and colorful.😍 I was thinking about getting some. We actually have a breeder here on Island that has some and of course got his stock from Green Fire.
Where are you able to get them that are not sourced from Green Fire?
I was thinking about getting some 55 Flowery hens from GF, these are also interesting birds from Sweden, created among other breeds from leghorns and are excellent layers. Another breed from Martin Silverudd. Next time I need laying hens I think I’m going that route.😊

You really need to get this on video and see if you can post it here! Broodies crack me up!🤣
Definitely!!!
The way Lizzy was doin week or so ago I think she was definitely pre-broody if that's even a thing! Cause she's all back to normal now!
Though she and Daisy have still not laid an egg that I have found and they are 6 months old Wednesday!
I can't believe you and @kurby22 are doing more babies! Yall are making me wanna!!!

So....ya know how I've been on and off bout trying to do a breeding project for Satins?
Well don't ya know Lauren Taylor THE Satin n Silkie queen (in my book) said that Lizzie is perfect for a mille fleur project breeding!!!
I'm so conflicted bout what to do now!!!
I technically have 5 girls that would be good for both the mille fleur and porcelain breeding projects!
None of my boys are right though...
And the person going to get Joey isn't responding now. I luv that turd but every single time I go in the run it's a thing with him hackling up and getting my legs.
Bluey is so scared of his own shadow, literally. And Coco is just too stinkin cute for anything!
But they aren't right colors at all for either project.

Any words of wisdom from yall?! I admire yall so much in the different breeds and numbers of babies yall have!
I realize I need to keep it at 10...12 is a couple too many for me I think.

Yall dont HATE on me for this!!!
LoL 😁
SPECTACULAR!!!!
VideoCapture_20220926-143710.jpg
VideoCapture_20220926-143743.jpg
VideoCapture_20220926-143817.jpg
VideoCapture_20220926-143852.jpg
20220921_154533.jpg

Back
Top Bottom