Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I have no snow experience myself. I don't think mine are as cold tolerant as they coukd/should be. I was hoping to put them back out on Christmas, but its going to freeze again that night. I'll keep watching the reports, day temps are going to be warmer then expected, so hopefully nights warm up too. By Monday it should be all fine here, thankfully.

Getting no sleep, paranoid about pipes. I have water trickling inside and outside, but still turn them on full blast every couple hours. I thought i might be overdoing it, but the neighbor across from me had a pipe burst today, so ill just stick with insomnia for now.

Surprisingly the chickens have been calm in their brooders, no complaining. They will be happy to get out though, in sure.
Yeah i hear ya!
I hear crowing so the past two days I've never been more happy to hear all dem boys! Lolol
We survived another night and the humidity only got 1% above what it was outside for a few hours. This morning it is back less than outside like normal! Thank You Lord!

Now I'm wondering when can I move Lizzie and Bambi back out with the others. They are in the garage...temp has been steadily dropping in there as it does not have heat. DH had plugged up the heat lamp for em but I turned it off once they had thawed out from the layer of snow and ice on em.
We are supposed to hit 25 this afternoon...then back into the teens tonight...the garage was at 45 last night when I tucked em in...reckon that is still too big of a change to put em out?

How are all yours doin inside in small crates?!
Lizzie is pitching a fit! I think she wants to lay an egg but she's mad and wanting out. Steppin in water then spilled their water, and growling like crazy!

Last edited:
Yeah i hear ya!
I hear crowing so the past two days I've never been more happy to hear all dem boys! Lolol
We survived another night and the humidity only got 1% above what it was outside for a few hours. This morning it is back less than outside like normal! Thank You Lord!

Now I'm wondering when can I move Lizzie and Bambi back out with the others. They are in the garage...temp has been steadily dropping in there as it does not have heat. DH had plugged up the heat lamp for em but I turned it off once they had thawed out from the layer of snow and ice on em.
We are supposed to hit 25 this afternoon...then back into the teens tonight...the garage was at 45 last night when I tucked em in...reckon that is still too big of a change to put em out?

Lizzie is pitching a fit! I think she wants to lay an egg but she's mad and wanting out. Steppin in water then spilled their water, and growling like crazy!
Puff Meister is laying in the tub, throwing hay all over her back and growling like a mean wolf too! White Cloud just looks at me as if to say 'How long do I have to put up with this?'

Honest opinions please... Close up shots (I've got them captive for a change.) I'm amazed at the kids I'm getting from my first breeding pair.
Blue Bonnet:
DSC_0243.JPG

Blue Bell:
DSC_0262.JPG

I'm Blue Too!
DSC_0245.JPG

Poodle Poof
DSC_0248.JPG

Puff Meister is laying in the tub, throwing hay all over her back and growling like a mean wolf too! White Cloud just looks at me as if to say 'How long do I have to put up with this?'

Honest opinions please... Close up shots (I've got them captive for a change.) I'm amazed at the kids I'm getting from my first breeding pair.
Blue Bonnet:View attachment 3357756
Blue Bell:View attachment 3357757
I'm Blue Too!View attachment 3357761
Poodle PoofView attachment 3357762
These are pure Silkies or some of your first generations of mix?
They sure are gorgeous!!!

Ah...I was thinking if those were some of your mixed generations then you were in the $$$!
It will take a few generations for that to happen! This lil One I suspect is a male, he'll have Poodle Poof and I'm Blue Too for wives. He's an F1 from my Cochin mix and General Lee
DSC_0184.JPG
DSC_0185.JPG

Yeah i hear ya!

I use those cheap hooked bird cage water bowls so the water stays clean and can't get knocked over. Mine are acting like they're house chickens again.. spread out on their sides, sleeping, stretching to see what ive got on my plate. Very quiet except when betty, the sweet polkie, decided she was going to peck Pebbles, the giant polish. She not even getting her hard, but Pebbles just screams and runs side to side. I give them food and veggies and scratch every few hours to keep them busy.

Once the sun is out and bright tomorrow, ill put them out. It's supposed to be about 45 by 10am. Itll drop to 30 overnight for just a couple hours, but im ok with that since they'll be in the coop. I think getting toasty in the sun will be good for them and get them reacclimated. After tomorrow, we will be heading back to the 60s and 70s.

Happy to know the brooders still work good for them in a pinch. Only thing i need to add is a roost in each cage, just to make them more comfy.

Im really thinking a coop solar panel and battery backup could be good though.

Blue Bonnet:View attachment 3357756
Blue Bell:View attachment 3357757
I'm Blue Too!View attachment 3357761
Poodle PoofView attachment 3357762
They are amazing!! I can't believe how poofy their crests are ❤

Back
Top Bottom